It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: American runner selected to British Olympic team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
LONDON -- American runner Malachi Davis was added to the British Olympic team Tuesday, two weeks after receiving his British passport.

Davis was given provisional spots in the 400 meters and 1,600-meter relay for his adopted country.

Davis is from Sacramento, Calif., but his mother was born in England. He decided to try for a place on the British team, figuring he had little chance to make the American squad for the Aug. 13-29 Olympics.

"I'm extremely happy, I'm excited," Davis said. "It was definitely up in the air because I know there were quite a few athletes that still were part of the selection process."

"There are a lot of athletes, I was told, that were upset with my decision because that could possibly take away their chances of making the squad," he added. "But like any athlete around the world there's a certain standard that you have to get."

Davis has a personal best of 45.52 seconds and finished fifth in the 400 at the British Olympic trials this month in Manchester. Davis had never been to Britain before the Olympic trials and had been outside the United States only once before arriving to compete.

"When we select a team we have to select it on merit," British team leader Max Jones said. "Malachi Davis has a legal entitlement to be selected to the British team because he has a British passport.

"That wasn't part of the selection issue, whether he's come late to the party or he's been there for years."

Besides Davis, 400-meter runner Matt Elias was also named to the team. They were the only two British athletes who had Olympic qualifying times who had not made the squad.

TRD

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well this is happening alot in all sports lately. People competing/playing for other countries because of citizenship/parents ect.

I don't think it's a bad thing as such but i bet some of our Athletes were a bit unhappy that he got selected in front of them.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yeah, it's not like he's stealing anything from anyone, he's just geting a better chance at making it to the Olympics himself.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
he is stealing an olympic spot from someone who is a true englishman and would be deserving of it, the ultimate dream of an athelete is to represent his or her country, he is depriving someone of this dream, sorry, i don't think this should be allowed

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
he is stealing an olympic spot from someone who is a true englishman and would be deserving of it, the ultimate dream of an athelete is to represent his or her country, he is depriving someone of this dream, sorry, i don't think this should be allowed

But WHO is really a true Englishman anymore?

So many people now with mixed backgrounds that 3/4 of the world could more than likely represent a number of countries.

new topics

top topics

join