posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:32 PM
TORONTO (AP) - The Toronto Blue Jays plan to ask slugger Carlos Delgado to waive his no-trade clause.
"I'm going to him ask if he wants to, but he has the right to decide whether he wants to or he doesn't," general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Friday.
Delgado, eligible for free agency this fall, earns $18.5 million this season in the final year of a four-year, $64 million deal.
Ricciardi said the team will probably have a payroll of $50 million next season, the same as this season. He would like to use the money Delgado makes
on a number of players.
"I think Carlos understands it," Ricciardi said. "He's a very, very bright guy. Bringing him back at $18.5 million dollars is something that's not
going to happen. That doesn't mean we don't want to bring him back."
Ricciardi declined to say when he would speak to Delgado.
Delgado was second in AL MVP voting last year after hitting .302 with 42 homers and a major league-leading 145 RBIs.
He entered Friday night's game against Texas batting .223 with 10 home runs and 33 RBIs. Delgado was activated from the disabled list on July 6 after
missing 33 games with a strained rib cage.
He is the franchise leader in home runs and RBIs.
The Blue Jays expected to contend for a playoff spot this season, but they've struggled with injuries and an unproductive offense and bullpen. They
entered Friday night's game 10 games below .500, at 39-49.