It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Hatton to face Harris bout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Ricky Hatton will get his long-awaited major title shot when he fights Vivian Harris in the first weekend of October.

WBU light welterweight champion Hatton has hit out at his promoter Frank Warren for not getting him big fights.

But Warren has reached agreement for Hatton to face Harris in Manchester, though he said: "It's been hard work.

"Ricky said that he badly wanted the Harris fight, and I've delivered it. This is the toughest fight of Ricky's career, and I am sure he will deliver."

A date for the fight, which will take place at the MEN Arena, is yet to be announced.

But Warren added: "Ricky will have home advantage, and to that end I have had to pay Harris a lot of money to come over here.

"It's the biggest purse that Harris has had in his career."

Victory over the highly-rated WBA title holder would raise Hatton's boxing profile around the world.

Guyana-born Harris has lost only once in 26 bouts and would be a real threat to Hatton's unbeaten record.

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/13 09:59:38 GMT

© BBC MMIV

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

After threatening to leave Frank Warren unless he secured him a major fight in the autumn, Ricky Hatton was in jubilant mood last night after learning a deal had been sealed for him to challenge the World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion Vivien Harris in October at Manchester's MEN Arena.

"This is what I need to take me on to the next level," said Hatton. "In America, people were saying who have I ever fought. And they had a point because after fighting Ben Tackie I fought Dennis Pedersen and Carlos Vilches, who don't mean much, and my career was going backwards. But Harris is a real champion and I want to take his title in front of the Manchester fans.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

After absorbing something of a working over of late from fans and the media, Frank Warren has finally delivered a WBA world title shot for unbeaten junior welterweight star Ricky Hatton.

What's more, 'the Hitman' will enjoy hometown advantage as the fight will take place at the Manchester Arena in his hometown of Manchester, England. The likely date will be October 2, which will suit both Showtime and Sky Sports, who screen Hatton's fights in the US and UK respectively.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

British promoter Frank Warren has confirmed that he has agreed terms with WBA world light-welterweight champion Vivian Harris to defend his title against Ricky Hatton in October.

Harris will travel to Manchester for the fight, which will finally see Hatton step up to world-class level.

Warren told Sports Network’s website: “It’s been hard work, originally we had Paul Spadafora lined up but his manager was taking too long to decide on the fight.

new topics

top topics

join