It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
After threatening to leave Frank Warren unless he secured him a major fight in the autumn, Ricky Hatton was in jubilant mood last night after learning a deal had been sealed for him to challenge the World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion Vivien Harris in October at Manchester's MEN Arena.
"This is what I need to take me on to the next level," said Hatton. "In America, people were saying who have I ever fought. And they had a point because after fighting Ben Tackie I fought Dennis Pedersen and Carlos Vilches, who don't mean much, and my career was going backwards. But Harris is a real champion and I want to take his title in front of the Manchester fans.
After absorbing something of a working over of late from fans and the media, Frank Warren has finally delivered a WBA world title shot for unbeaten junior welterweight star Ricky Hatton.
What's more, 'the Hitman' will enjoy hometown advantage as the fight will take place at the Manchester Arena in his hometown of Manchester, England. The likely date will be October 2, which will suit both Showtime and Sky Sports, who screen Hatton's fights in the US and UK respectively.
British promoter Frank Warren has confirmed that he has agreed terms with WBA world light-welterweight champion Vivian Harris to defend his title against Ricky Hatton in October.
Harris will travel to Manchester for the fight, which will finally see Hatton step up to world-class level.
Warren told Sports Network’s website: “It’s been hard work, originally we had Paul Spadafora lined up but his manager was taking too long to decide on the fight.