It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Okafor Fills Out U.S. Hoops Team

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
COLORADO SPRINGS (AP) - Emeka Okafor was selected for the U.S. Olympic basketball team Thursday, filling the final spot on the squad headed to the Athens Games.

Okafor, the second overall pick in the NBA draft by the expansion Charlotte Bobcats, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Lamar Odom and Dwyane Wade were officially added to the team.

Okafor, who starred at Connecticut, is the only player on the team who has yet to play in the NBA. He was selected over Brad Miller and Theo Ratliff.

"I am flattered," Okafor said in a statement released by USA Basketball. "It is an honor I will always treasure.

"I enjoyed representing our country at the Pan Am Games last year, and I jumped at the opportunity after receiving this invitation. This is a chance of a lifetime."

The rest of the U.S. team going to the Aug. 13-29 games: Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Richard Jefferson, Stephon Marbury, Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire.

Larry Brown, who last month led the Detroit Pistons to the NBA title, will coach the Olympic team.

USA Basketball also confirmed that five players previously named to the team Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd, Karl Malone, Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal have withdrawn because of injuries or personal reasons.

join