It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Rudy T gets offer from Lakers

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.(AP) - With Mike Krzyzewski out of the picture, it appears Rudy Tomjanovich could be the next coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The former Houston Rockets coach has been offered the job, a Houston television station reported Tuesday.

Lakers spokesman John Black refused comment.

Tomjanovich, who led the Rockets to NBA titles in 1994 and 1995, was offered the job Monday night, according to unidentified NBA sources quoted by KRIV. The Lakers job has been vacant since June 18, when the team announced Phil Jackson wouldn't return next season.

Tomjanovich, 55, stepped down after 12 years as coach of the Rockets in May 2003 two months after learning he had bladder cancer. He underwent treatment and served as a scout for the Rockets this season his 34th year with the organization.

Krzyzewski announced Monday he would remain at Duke rather than accept an offer from the Lakers, reported to be for five years and $40 million.

"Immediately after I spoke to (Krzyzewski) this morning, our search for a new coach continued," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said late Monday.

"I would hope it could be this week," Kupchak said. "We don't feel under the gun to do that, but we would like to have a coach. Finding the coach is one of the top priorities. There's a lot more that needs to be addressed at this time of year."

Jackson coached the Lakers to three championships in five years. The announcement that he wouldn't return came three days after the team lost to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
As I said a couple of weeks ago, I think Rudy will be the best fit for the Lakers. The bastages!

TRD

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
As I said a couple of weeks ago, I think Rudy will be the best fit for the Lakers. The bastages!

The offer looks firm and the deal could be done.

join