It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Mailman to retire?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Daily News is reporting that Los Angeles Lakers forward Karl Malone has decided to retire after 19 NBA seasons.

Malone, who will turn 41 on July 24, recently underwent surgery to repair a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee that limited the future Hall-of-Famer to just 42 games during his one turbulent season with Los Angeles. He declined a 1.65 million contract option shortly after the Lakers lost in five games to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA finals.

Malone signed with the Lakers last summer for far below market value in an attempt to win the NBA title that has eluded him during his Hall of Fame career.

That dream ended in a nightmare for Malone, whose injury forced him to the sidelines for the majority of Detroit's stunning series win. He played sparingly in Games 3 and 4 and sat out the deciding final contest.

Malone would end his career second on the NBA's all-time scoring list with 36,928 points, behind only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 38,387. A 14-time All-Star and the league's MVP in 1996-97 and 1998-99, Malone averaged 25 points and 10.1 rebounds per season but posted career-lows of 13.2 points and 8.7 rebounds in 2003-04.

Malone was also selected as one of the NBA's 50 greatest players in 1996.

After spending 18 years with Utah and earning $19 million in his final season with the Jazz, Malone signed with Los Angeles for $1.5 million.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'd hate to see him go without a ring, but if his body can't take it anymore, then he should. I'd think he'd give it more to to make his decision, though.

Ben

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
his mind is saying one thing, and his body is saying another.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Give him time to think about it...

(I'm in denial)

new topics

top topics

join