It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Virginia gov. endorses site for new ballpark

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Gov. Mark R. Warner endorsed a Loudoun County site near Dulles International Airport on Tuesday as the new capital-area home for the Montreal Expos.

"I think the Virginia baseball group, which has worked on this project for almost a decade, has found a good site at Dulles," Warner said of a proposed 450-acre site for a 42,500-seat stadium on the fringe of the Washington, D.C. suburbs.

"I like the fact that it doesn't require any additional taxpayer financing so that the existing financing that comes from the (Virginia Baseball) Stadium Authority as well as the local proffers that would be made by the developers would pay for the stadium," Warner said on his monthly show on Washington's WTOP radio.

The ballpark is envisioned as a town square type of development that would encompass retail, residential and commercial space. Warner said he favored the site over a competing location within Washington, despite problems with worsening traffic congestion in the nation's fastest-growing county. He said that the proposed extension of the Metrorail system to Dulles by 2012 could make the site more accessible.

"I think it's fair to say we've got transportation problems in the region, no matter where you're headed, that need to be solved not only to get to a baseball stadium but to get to work or to get to any kind of a daily life," Warner said.

"My first choice would be a Virginia site, my second choice would be the district, but I do think the national capital area deserves a team," Warner said.

He also noted that Norfolk has made a bid to become the new home for the Expos, a team burdened with National League's worst record. "So Virginia has two bites at the apple," Warner said.

He also said that placing the franchise in the Virginia suburbs, nearly 25 miles from Washington, there would be less of a threat to the fan base of the Baltimore Orioles, an American League franchise that claims a wide regional following.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When are the Expos moving?

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
When are the Expos moving?

I don't think that it's been decided yet where they will be going, there are several areas trying to get them.

[Edited on 6/22/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

join