It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Scott Harrison retains title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Scott Harrison successfully defended his WBO world featherweight title with a third-round stoppage over American-based Armenian William Abelyan.

The Scotsman came out with all guns blazing from the first bell at Braehead Arena in Glasgow.

After dropping Abelyan for the third time in the third round, the referee stepped in to prevent his challenger from taking any further punishment.

It was the Cambuslang fighter's sixth defence of his title.

A euphoric Harrison hailed the win as his greatest performance.

It just came off for me on the night - Scott Harrison

"It was the best I've boxed so far," said Harrison.

"After I caught him with the right hand the first time, it was just a matter of time before it was stopped.

"Scotland aren't doing too well in sport at the moment so I'm going to try and go as far as I can and put on a show for them time and again."

Harrison, who had refused to predict a knockout or stoppage during the pre-fight hype, admitted he was unconcerned about how he retained his title.

He said: "I knew it wasn't going to go 12 rounds but you didn't know if it was going to go three rounds or 12 rounds or whatever.

"Sometimes it takes time but in this fight he went early but that's boxing for you. It just came off for me on the night."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/19 21:26:49 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join