It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Former champ gets third win in 99 days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Associated Press

GLEN BURNIE, Md. -- Hasim Rahman never expected such an easy victory in his ongoing effort to regain the heavyweight title.

Rahman knocked out Rob Calloway in the second round Thursday night, using an overhand right to dispatch an opponent known for his finesse and footwork.

It was the third win in a 99-day span for Rahman (38-5-1), the top-ranked contender in the World Boxing Association.

"It was a pleasant surprise," Rahman said. "I thought I was going to have to chase him around, chase him around, and work the body for about four, five, six rounds."

After Rahman flattened Calloway (44-5-1), the underdog didn't get off the canvas until several moments after the 10-count by referee Malik Waleed.

"He thought he could trade punches with me," Rahman said. "It worked out in my favor."

The official time was two minutes of the second round.

"I really like Rock. He's a nice guy, but I couldn't let him know that," Calloway said. "He's got the hardest jab, and the right, I never even saw it. He could beat any of the other four champions."

Before his three-match winning streak, Rahman went 0-3-1 after winning the heavyweight title with a stunning knockout of Lennox Lewis in April 2001.

Rahman lost the rematch seven months later, then fell out of contention before his recent resurgence.

The bout was held in a packed ballroom at Michael's Eighth Avenue, where Rahman began his comeback on March 11 with a lopsided unanimous decision over Al "Ice" Cole.

One month later, Rahman barely worked up a sweat in stopping Mario Cawley in the second round of a mismatch in Delaware.

The fight against Calloway, who came in with 33 knockouts, did not provide much more of a challenge.

Rahman landed a left jab early in the first round while Calloway darted in and out of range. Rahman connected with another left jab later in the round, causing Calloway to momentarily lose his balance.

By the end of the round, Calloway had a welt under his left eye, but he wasn't backing down. He began the second round by landing a few punches that Rahman pushed aside. Rahman then staggered Calloway with a right, moments before taking him out for good.

"I thought I was rather patient," Rahman said. "I saw he was bloodied up from the left jab, and it made the right easier to land."

Calloway, of St. Joseph, Mo., entered the ring wearing a Kansas City Chiefs jersey under his robe. He came in at 208½ pounds, nearly 40 pounds less than Rahman.

"I could have boxed him, but if I just started running, he would have never gotten tired," Calloway said.

new topics

join