It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Calzaghe clash 'off' again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
IBF light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson has told BBC Wales Sport he no longer wants to fight Joe Calzaghe.

According to Calzaghe's camp, the bout has been rescheduled for 24 July after the Welshman pulled out of the original date with a back injury.

But Johnson is adamant Calzaghe has lost his chance, saying: "The fight is off. I'm not interested in fighting Joe Calzaghe any more.

"I wish him the best, but I'm moving on to a fight that's more concrete."

Miami-based Johnson, 35, had already questioned the validity of Calzaghe's injury, calling him a "punk".

That prompted a furious response from the Newbridge fighter, who was arrested but released without charge after an alleged incident at his home in Cwmbran last week.

"I'm more angry than anyone about the injury," said the 32-year-old. "I'm more than happy for Johnson to check with the British Boxing Board of Control who have a medical certificate."

But Johnson, who had trained himself into peak condition, says he has lost patience with Calzaghe.

"I have a family to feed," he told BBC Wales Sport. "I don't really have a lot of time neither do I have the means to waste my time.

"I need to make money so I can support my family. I'm the champ and I'm giving him an opportunity for my belt and he's playing games.

"I don't have time for that right now. I'm not a guy who's scared to fight. I'm in this business to make money so I'm going to move on to someone who's really going to fight."

Johnson should be puckering up and kissing my hand and thanking me at every opportunity - Joe Calzaghe

The bout in Cardiff was to be Calzgahe's debut at light heavyweight, having reigned as WBO super middleweight champion for seven years.

And before Johnson's unexpected decision to cancel, Calzaghe had promised the American a fight to remember.

"Omar Sheika was the last American to come over here shouting his mouth off and disrespecting me," said Calzaghe.

"That really wound me up. I gave him a real battering and he hasn't been the same since.

"By fighting me, Johnson is getting the payday of a lifetime, he's never seen that kind of money.

"What's angered me even more is that I've had to take a pay cut to get him to come to Wales.

"Instead of insulting me he should be puckering up and kissing my hand and thanking me at every opportunity.

"I'm going to punch him into retirement and at least he will have the money to do it."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/08 15:39:06 GMT

© BBC MMIV

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by Ocelot]

join