It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Garciaparra's first rehab start hitless

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Boston Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, sidelined all season with a sore Achilles' tendon, went 0-for-3 for Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday in the first game of his rehabilitation assignment.

Garciaparra injured his right Achilles' tendon when he fouled a ball off his heel in spring training on March 17, and had not played in a game since. The four-time AL All-Star led off and grounded out for the Pawsox in their game against Louisville. He struck out in the third inning, and grounded out to end the fifth before leaving the game.

Garciaparra made three clean plays on defense, catching two pop-ups, and fielding a grounder. He had no visible limp in the field.

"This is the next step. Getting in a few innings here feels pretty good right now," Garciaparra said. "The big test is to see how it feels tomorrow."

He said he had no problems running.

"It felt really good," Garciaparra said. "My first at-bat, I got out of the box really good, so I was pleased with that. I got out instinctively, didn't think about it and ran down to first - it felt fine."

Garciaparra is scheduled to play another five innings for the Pawsox on Monday. After that, he plans to return to Boston to work with a therapist for a few days.

He's expected to rejoin Pawtucket in Toledo after an off-day Wednesday.

join