It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you feel about the symbol of fascism hanging on either side of the americian flag?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:16 AM
link   
those two brass things on the right. what are the origins?

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:28 AM
link   
If your implication is that it represents the SS, I think you're stretching it a bit....well, unless your dyslexic, and then maybe it looks like that.

The laurels are ornamental...just filigree.

And the objects about which they wrap are scrolls. I don't really see anything calling out foul here, personally.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
And the objects about which they wrap are scrolls. I don't really see anything calling out foul here, personally.

Those are not scrolls. Those brass things are "fasces".
Scrolls don't have axe blades popping out of them. Fasces are the root word of fascism. Fasces have been a symbol of authorative rule since the days of Rome. Both Germany and Italy use fasces to symblize their fascist state during WWII. And now bronze fasces sit on either side of the Americian Flag in the Congress Building.

A few links on fasces:
home.uchicago.edu...
www.legionxxiv.org...
www.livius.org...
flagspot.net...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The etymology of "facism" emerges well after after Fasces were used to symbolize power and authority, and after these objects adorned the pictured setting. www.bartleby.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaltyBeachedRat

Originally posted by Valhall

Those are not scrolls. Those brass things are "fasces".
Scrolls don't have axe blades popping out of them. Fasces are the root word of fascism. Fasces have been a symbol of authorative rule since the days of Rome. Both Germany and Italy use fasces to symblize their fascist state during WWII. And now bronze fasces sit on either side of the Americian Flag in the Congress Building.

A few links on fasces:
home.uchicago.edu...
www.legionxxiv.org...
www.livius.org...
flagspot.net...

Well I'll be damned...you're right. I missed the blades AND the "handle" protruding from the top (which usually is missing in a fasces threw me off. I might add that the placement of the blade to look as a continuation of the laurel AND the added handle at the top almost makes the appearance of trying to "hide" the darned thing...now doesn't? hmmm

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I feel that whoever thinks they're symbols of fascism knows little of their origins or history.

For what it's worth, we've had similar discussions about eagles. They're ancient totems, they were adopted by the US *LONG* before the rise of the Nazis. To call them fascist symbols implies a lack of reading about some very basic history timelines.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It's not about which came first, but rather what it has come to mean. Do you still think the swatsika is a Tibetan Good Luck Charm?

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK It's not about which came first, but rather what it has come to mean. Do you still think the swatsika is a Tibetan Good Luck Charm?
Yes... but one of the meanings. As is the case with nearly every word and symbol, there are multiple evolutionary meanings.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I don't feel good about the symbols of fascism hanging where they are.

Fascism means to myself a system of control over the individual, where the individual serves the ruler, at the individuals expense. There doesn't seem to be any sort of harmony when I think about it.

I had a dream about fascism--in it, the people were oppressed and made to be poor.

Why are you being made to do this against your own will? The oppressed replies, "because of fascism".

I don't like the idea of fascism.

top topics

join