It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Macca ready for Nelson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
(BBC Sports) - Enzo Maccarinelli will make the fourth defence of his WBU cruiserweight title in Newport Sports Centre on 3 July.

The 23-year-old's opponent has yet to be named, but he has targeted a match with WBO champion Johnny Nelson by the end of the year.

"I'd love to fight Nelson, the public and press are talking about it and I believe it will happen," he said.

"I rate Johnny as the best in the division. I want a test against him to see how good I am now and can become."

Despite his respect for Nelson, the big-punching Welshman is confident he could pull off a win.

"He's got that awkward style but I believe my style will be the one to beat him and I'd have no hesitation in saying that I would knock him out," said Maccarinelli.

He returned to training this month after a lay-off following his exciting eight-round win over Garry Delaney in Cardiff in February.
That was the first time he had been taken beyond four rounds in his explosive career, something he attributes to a damaged hand, but the Swansea brawler says he is back to full fitness.

"After my hand had gone in the first I had to box smart against Delaney and wait for my openings otherwise I'm sure the fight could have ended early," said Maccarinelli.

"I had to dig deep and keep the pressure on him to win the rounds and gradually wear him down until the knockout came.

"My hand swelled up like a balloon after the fight but it is fine now."

Also featuring on the 3 July card are Gavin Rees, Jamie Arthur, Tony Doherty, Nathan King, Taz Jones and Newport light-welterweight Barrie Jones, who will be making his professional debut.

© BBC MMIV

join