It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Harrison toils to victory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
BBC Sports
Audley Harrison claimed his 16th straight victory since turning professional with a comprehensive points win over Julius Francis.

The WBF heavyweight champion, who won the belt by beating Holland's Richel Hersisia in March, struggled to overcome a stubborn opponent.

Harrison took his time to get going and relied heavily on his jab but finally started to open up in the 11th round.

The onslaught continued in the 12th and Francis hit the canvas late on.

The victory is sweet revenge for Harrison, who lost his unbeaten streak as an amateur when the pair met 11 years ago.

Francis was a late replacement for Nicolay Popov and although he was a durable opponent, he showed little ambition.

The three British judges had little doubt about who was the winner, with Larry O'Connell and Roy Francis scoring 119-109 in favour of Harrison and John Keane giving a 119-108 verdict.

"I am glad I got my first 12 rounder in the bag. Now both myself and everybody else knows I can do that," said Harrison.

"I was trying to pace myself. I was always ahead and all in all I'm happy with that performance."

Harrison is now in talks about a possible clash with British and Commonwealth champion Matt Skelton.

"It's a question of money. We are meeting again next week to talk about that fight."

© BBC MMIV

TRD

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Audley Harrison has set his sights on unbeaten double champion Matt Skelton.
Harrison, who outpointed Julius Francis in Bristol on Saturday for his 16th straight win, said he will fight Skelton "if the money is right".

"Matt Skelton brings something to the table - the British and Commonwealth titles and a number three European ranking," said Harrison.

"It's all about money, as it always is. If (promoter) Frank Warren wants to do it then it is going to cost."

There is a huge obstacle to a Harrison-Skelton contest though.

The Olympic gold medallist boxes on the BBC while Sky screen Skelton's fights as part of a deal with Warren's shows.

"We are looking to do some sort of collaboration with Warren," added Harrison.

"I was speaking to some of my American partners and they said at the end of the day Oscar De La Hoya uses Bob Arum and Roy Jones works with Don King, so why not?"

new topics

join