It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Pacquiao focused on Marquez

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
BBC Sports
Manny Pacquiao says he is fully focused on Juan Manuel Marquez ahead of their featherweight blockbuster in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Filipino Pacquiao is after Marquez's WBA and IBF belts having destroyed Marco Antonio Barrera last November.

But the 25-year-old has riled his Mexican rival by stating he wants to fight former nine stone king Eric Morales after Marquez.

"I haven't underestimated Marquez - he is the champion," said Pacquiao.

"I trained hard for this fight because I know he can box and has good power. I am going to give him a good fight."

Although Marquez (42-2, 33KOs) is the title-holder and coming off a 13-fight unbeaten streak, Pacquiao (38-2-1, 30) is the narrow favourite after his demolition job on Barrera.

"We are expecting a very difficult fight," said Marquez. "But it was very difficult for me to win those two titles, so on Saturday it is impossible for me to leave them here.

"Anything else that needs to be said will be said on Saturday with my two hands."

Pacquiao, a former world champion at 112 and 122lbs, looked in fine fettle at the news conference at the MGM Grand and trainer Freddie Roach said his charge had trained harder than he had for the Barrera match.

"Manny Pacquiao is in great shape for this fight," said Roach. "Don't miss this one, Pacquiao is the new superstar out there. He is explosive and we're coming out there with guns firing."

However, the fight needs little hype and is expected to be one of the finest world title clashes in recent years.

© BBC MMIV

join