It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Mundine Ready to Defend Title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sky Sports
Australia's Anthony Mundine has recovered from an ankle injury suffered in training and will defend his WBA super-middleweight title against Puerto Rican Manny Siaca.

The 28-year-old former rugby league player claimed the title when he won a unanimous points decision over American Antwun Echols in Sydney last year.

Mundine has declared himself fit after injuring his ankle in training a week ago and will make his first mandatory title defence in Sydney.

"It's going to be no problem, I'm not really thinking about it or having it consciously in my head," Mundine told a media conference.

"I'm going to go out there and do what I've got to do to win," he said.

The Australian said he expected to again frustrate the widely respected Siaca’s fourth attempt to win the title.

"I think I'm the fastest super-middleweight in the world," Mundine said.

"I know he's got power and he's going to come out and look to exploit that power, but when I hit him right I'll put him out," he said.

Siaca has taunted the Australian in the lead-up to the fight and has accused Mundine of running from opponents.

However, he recently described Mundine as a champion, but is still confident that he can defeat Mundine inside the distance.

"I'm ready to fight 12 rounds, but if the knockout comes. I'm ready," Siaca said.

© 2004 BSkyB

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Ocelot]

join