posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:18 PM
Manchester Utd are tightening security for Tuesday's home
game against Charlton after reports Old Trafford was to be the target of a terrorist attack. Assistant Chief Constable Dave Whatton said the decision
had been made in the light of media speculation.
It follows the arrest of 10 people under the Terrorism Act on Monday, seven were detained in Manchester. Extra checks and searches would also be
carried out at Saturday's home game against Liverpool, he said. Newspapers reports claimed the 10 being held under anti-terror laws had tickets for
seats scattered throughout the stadium. Representatives of Manchester United denied speculation their grounds may have been specifically targeted. The
Home Office and police also refused to comment on newspaper reports those detained were planning to carry out suicide bombings in Manchester. The
extra measures include extra policing and searches. Fans are asked not to take bags to either game and to arrive in plenty of time for the kick off.
The nine men and one woman were arrested on Monday after 400 police were involved in raids. Greater Manchester Police is seeking warrants for further
detention from magistrates in the city for eight of the suspects. They stand accused of involvement in the commission, preparation or instigation of
terrorism. Six men and the woman were arrested in Manchester, and one person each in Staffordshire, West Midlands and South Yorkshire. Security
services and the Metropolitan police anti-terrorism branch were also involved in the operation. Greater Manchester Police said speculation that public
buildings in Manchester were targets for terrorists was "extremely unhelpful" but urged the public to be vigilant.