It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Arsenal Equal Record and Saturday's Prem Results

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Barclaycard Premiership leaders Arsenal equalled the record of 29 games for the longest unbeaten start to an English top-flight season on Saturday.The Gunners' clash with Bolton at Highbury was delayed 15 minutes because of high winds, but superb goals from Robert Pires (16) and Dennis Bergkamp (24) soon put them 2-0 ahead.

Ivan Campo pulled one back after 41 minutes, and Arsene Wenger's side had a few uncomfortable moments in the second half. But the Gunners held on to join the Leeds and Liverpool sides of 1973-74 and 1987-88 respectively in the record books.

Ryan Giggs impressed as Manchester United secured a much-needed victory with a 3-0 success over Tottenham at Old Trafford.After crashing out of the Champions League and losing 4-1 to rivals Manchester City, third-placed United were anxious to get back to winning ways.

Chelsea, Arsenal's closest rivals, remained second after a 2-1 win in a hard-fought west London derby against Fulham at Stamford Bridge.Eidur Gudjohnsen took advantage of poor Fulham defending to give Chelsea the lead with a powerful strike from 20 yards after seven minutes.

Goals were not hard to come by at the Riverside, where Middlesbrough edged a thrilling encounter with Birmingham 5-3.Boro took the lead with a superb strike from Spanish international Gaizka Mendieta after five minutes and grabbed a second through Massimo Maccarone (21).Mikael Forssell pulled one back almost immediately, and Mark Schwarzer tipped a Stan Lazaridis header on to the bar. But Boro restored a two-goal cushion through Gareth Southgate (30).Clinton Morrison netted another for City on the stroke of half-time, but Maccarone made it 4-2 almost straightaway. Forssell's second gave Blues hope after 59 minutes, but Szilard Nemeth put the result beyond doubt.

Blackburn also enjoyed victory as goals from Garry Flitcroft and Jon Stead saw off Aston Villa 2-0.Flitcroft opened the scoring against the run of play on 26 minutes after Brett Emerton robbed Olof Mellberg on 26 minutes. Former Huddersfield forward Stead added the second 10 minutes later.

Marcus Bent grabbed a late equaliser as Leicester earned a 1-1 draw with 10-man Everton at the Walkers Stadium.Everton had Duncan Ferguson sent off late in the first half for a second bookable offence after a couple of scuffles but the Foxes struggled to capitalise.Everton looked set to take the points when Wayne Rooney struck his fourth goal in as many games 15 minutes from time. But Bent, who had an earlier goal disallowed, had the final say.

Sami Hyypia headed a late winner against Wolves at Anfield as Liverpool boosted their chances of claiming fourth place.Wolves provided tough opposition and looked set to take a vital point off Gerard Houllier's side.But the Reds won a late corner and snatched victory 1-0 when Hyypia rose to turn the ball home.

Sir

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I thought they was really lucky to win,Bolton played really well and could have easily won the game.

I don't know how the gooners have gone so many games unbeaten this season,they have played real well in some and not so good in others.I hope they don't go all season without losing,the gooners are already arrogant and pigheaded as it is.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I hope they don't do it,i hate the gooners lol!

join