It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Avs Moore out for season, Canucks Bertuzzi suspended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
In a dispicable act of cowardace by Todd Bertuzzi of the Vancouver Canucks, attacked Colorado Avalanche player Steve Moore from behind. The sucker punch to Moore's head knocked him unconcious, then Bertuzzi tackled him from behind, causing Moore's head to be drilled into the ice. Moore is recovering in a Vancouver hospital with a concussion and fractured neck, and will miss the rest of the regular season.

ESPN.com news services
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore will miss the rest of the season with a fractured neck after a hit by Vancouver's Todd Bertuzzi, prompting a police investigation.

Moore also sustained a concussion and deep facial cuts, the Avalanche said Tuesday. He will remain hospitalized in Vancouver indefinitely, Colorado trainer Pat Karns said.

Bertuzzi has been suspended indefinitely pending a hearing at the NHL office in Toronto on Wednesday.

Comments:
I am so stunned at the escalation of violence that is occuring in the NHL. The rules meant to lower the retaliation by players is causing hatred to build up and then explode. Violence is a part of the game, but if the players are allowed to take care of it as soon as it happens, it will rarely escalate to what we get today.

Regardless. I hate Bertuzzi. I hate him even more now.

[Edited on 3/9/2004 by crayon]

Ben

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i forgot, how come he went after moore like that

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
from what i have read they went after moore because he hit markus naslund and put him out for 3 games with a concussion

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Very unfortunate incident, I hope Moore makes a full and speedy recovery.

Today they suspended Bertuzzi for the rest of the season including the playoffs, I think the punishment is just. After all, Moore is out for the season with a fractured neck, why should Bertuzzi be allowed to play?

I saw Bertuzzi's apology, I think it was sincere. He shed alot of tears and apologized to Moore, his family, teammates, and to the fans, especially all the kids who watch the NHL. He is a great player and he plays at a very high intense level, he just did something really stupid and uncalled for. Hockey is a very rough sport as it is, there is no room for sucker punches. Heck, it's the only sport (except boxing of course) that you are actually allowed to fight the opponent which makes even less sense for a sucker punch. I've seen Bertuzzi fight many times and he's very tough, but no reason to sneak a guy from behind regardless of the reason, although I saw the hit on Naslund last month and I'm not convinced that it was intentional.

So as I said, his suspension extends to the end of the regular season and the playoffs. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said that he will announce before next year's training camp if there will be additional penalties/fines/suspensions. So my question to you is..
Do you think the punishment is just? Do you think he should be suspended additional games next year? Do you think he should be banned form hockey?

BTW, the Vancouver Canucks have also been fined $250,000 for the hit, I'll be surprised if they dont take that out of Bertuzzi's next check.

new topics

top topics

join