It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Felix Trinidad returns

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Former world champion Felix Trinidad announced he will make a comeback to the ring with a proposed fight against "Sugar" Shane Moseley.
Trinidad will return as a middleweight, and the fight will go ahead provided Moseley beats Winky Wright in Las Vegas on 13 March.

Trinidad surprised the boxing world when he hung up his gloves in May 2002 at the age of 29.The Puerto Rican held world titles in three different weight classes and beat De la Hoya in 1999.Trinidad quit the ring having won 41 of his 42 bouts, his sole defeat coming at the hands of Bernard Hopkins in a 2001 middleweight unification bout.He was the first man to beat De la Hoya and was set for a re-match against the "Golden Boy" when he called time on his career after beating Frenchman Hassine Cherifi.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Associated Press - March 2, 2004

NEW YORK - Felix Trinidad ended his retirement of nearly two years on Tuesday and will return to boxing, where he was one of the sport's most dominant fighters.

"A lot of people told me we need you in boxing," Trinidad said.

The 31-year-old Trinidad, an immensely popular fighter in his home of Puerto Rico, earned tens of millions of dollars while winning titles as a welterweight, junior middleweight and middleweight.

Trinidad will return as a middleweight, and promoter Don King said a fight is set with Shane Moseley, provided Moseley wins his March 13 bout with Winky Wright in Las Vegas.

Trinidad disclosed his plans at the end of a news conference at Madison Square Garden to announce an April 17 fight card in New York featuring two heavyweight title bouts: John Ruiz vs. Fres Oquenso and Chris Byrd vs. Andrew Golota.

Trinidad said he spoke with King is Puerto Rico about his return.

"Don gave me what I asked for, and here I am," Trinidad said through an interpreter.

At the time of his retirement, in which he made a tearful announcement, Trinidad said it was simply time to make the move. He wanted to spend more time with his family and enjoy his cars and horses . On Tuesday, he said he retired because the big fights weren't there.

"I wasn't wrong when I retired," he said. "I just changed my mind."

Trinidad was 41-1 with 34 knockouts, and won 20 of his 21 title fights. In his last fight, Trinidad stopped French journeyman Hacine Cherifi in May in San Juan.

"All my people, everywhere, were asking me to come back," he said.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
good to see himback going to be a great fight

couigh cough.....round commentary? ........cough cough

Sir

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
That's great news,Trinidad is a great fighter and it will make a already great boxing division even better!

top topics

join