It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Jamal Lewis indicted on Drug Charges

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, who had the second-highest rushing total in NFL history last season, was indicted Wednesday on federal drug charges.

The Atlanta native is accused of helping arrange a drug deal involving coc aine in the summer of 2000, U.S. Attorney William S. Duffey said. Lewis was expected to turn himself in Thursday, the prosecutor said.

Lewis is charged with conspiring to possess with the intent to distribute 5 kilograms of coc aine and using a cell phone in the commission of the first count, Duffey said.

The indictment came out of a drug investigation that has led to 30 convictions and helped dismantle a coc aine-trafficking ring in the city, Duffey said. He refused to say whether Lewis was tied to that drug ring.

"The cooperating source told Lewis that he/she was willing to sell the narcotics to Lewis' associates for a price that Lewis can tax" meaning the price could be marked up for a profit, Mahaley said in the affidavit."And Lewis responded 'Yeah,'" the agent said.

A Ravens spokesman, Chad Steele, said the indictment came as a surprise to the team.

"We had no clue," Steele said. He said Lewis was in Florida on Wednesday and that the team would issue a statement later.

Two years ago Lewis was suspended four games by the NFL for a repeat violation of the league's substance abuse policy. He was on injured reserve and out for the entire season when he was suspended.

TRD

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
That is big news,what i can't believe is that the Ravens knew nothing about it? Cmon they must have how the hell would he keep that quiet?

Ben

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Lewis pleads not guility and released on bail

Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis pleaded innocent Thursday to federal drug charges that he tried to help a childhood friend buy coc aine in the summer of 2000.

"I just want to say it's extremely important to me that my family, my friends, my fans and the Ravens organization know that I am innocent and I thank everyone for their continued support," Lewis said after his hearing at the U.S. District Courthouse.

The Baltimore football player, an Atlanta native, was released on $500,000 bond on charges that he conspired to possess with the intent to distribute five kilograms of coc aine, during which he used a cell phone in violation of federal law.

Lewis didn't speak during the 15-minute hearing, other than answering "yes" when asked by the judge and the U.S. attorney if he understood his rights and his plea.

If convicted of conspiracy, Lewis could face 10 years to life in prison.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I suppose they have evidence that he did make a call and stuff,but with the money he earns why do it? there is no need.

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I do believe that there is evidence otherwise Lewis wouldnt be in this kindof position. This has to hurt his creditbability rating in the leauge.

top topics

join