It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Knicks look for help from the NBA's leading scorer

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The Knicks are looking to the NBA's all-time leading scorer for assistance. The legendary Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has joined the Knicks in an advisory role.

Head coach Lenny Wilkens said the 19-time All-Star will initially do some scouting, but his duties could be expanded down the road.

"I told the young players, the guy has got a wealth of knowledge -- don't be afraid to ask him questions," Wilkens told the Newark Star-Ledger. "And he feels good to share it with them. I think they were all in awe of him. How can you not be in awe with all he's accomplished?"

Isiah is trying to pull together the right people, and he thought maybe I could help," Abdul-Jabbar told Newsday. Abdul-Jabbar also said he hopes the move is permanent.

Abdul-Jabbar, 56, has not worked full-time in basketball since 2002, when he coached the Oklahoma Storm of the USBL. He did some tutoring for the Pacers and Isiah Thomas, now the Knicks' general manager, last season. Previously, he had served as an assistant with the Clippers for five months in 2000.

"I just think as a player, people tried to cast me in a certain light, and it's very difficult for them to see me in any other light," Abdul-Jabbar told the Star-Ledger. "They kind of think I'm difficult or incommunicative. That's not the case. And I'm here to prove it."

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The Knicks need all the help they can get...

Ben

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
how have they been doing as of late?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I have no Idea. I know the best thing they've done all season was acquire Stephon marbury from the Suns. I saw one game of theirs, On Sunday. They lost to Cleveland by like 4 or 5. That Iglauskus guy had 31 points, I think, and LeBron had like 21.

Ben

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
you think they can make the playoffs, the knicks?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I don't think so. They just aren't good enough, even with Stephon. maybe next year, but definately not this year.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
you think they can make the playoffs, the knicks?

The Knicks definately have the talent to make the playoffs in the East and may get in to the second round, but lose to the better teams there.

Ben

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Stephon does help them in that area, but they are continuing to lose and that is going to hurt their confidence coming into the playoffs. Currently they are the 6th seed. But who knows how that will keep up.

new topics

top topics

join