It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: The last two unbeaten teams are 1-2 in the rankings

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Stanford replaced Duke at No. 1 in The Associated Press men's college basketball poll Monday, and Saint Joseph's moved up to No. 2 for the first time in nearly 40 years.

The Cardinal and the Hawks, the only undefeated teams in Division I, each rose one spot after Duke (21-2) lost to North Carolina State 78-74 Sunday night. That ended the Blue Devils' 18-game winning streak and their four-week stay at No. 1.

This is the third season in which Stanford (21-0) has reached No. 1, after five weeks in 1999-00 and seven weeks in 2000-01.

"It lets us know that we're working hard, and people are respecting us, and we're doing something right," Stanford junior forward Josh Childress said Monday."Coming into the season, Duke was ranked ahead of us, and they always were, so it was natural for them to take it. It didn't bother us," Childress said. "We kept playing hard and working hard, and that's paying off."

Stanford received 64 first-place votes and 1,791 points from the national media panel. The Cardinal beat California 69-58 in their only game last week and are the fifth team to top the poll this season.

Saint Joseph's (22-0) received the other eight first-place votes and 1,721 points to match the highest ranking in school history. The Hawks, who beat Dayton and Rhode Island last week, were ranked No. 2 for two weeks in 1965-66.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Stanford won yet again last night lead bby Childress with 32 points and 11 rebounds.

The question of the day is who is better Stanford or Saint Joe's.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
St Joe's smoked UMass tonight to go to 25-0!!!

Delonte West scored 23 points to lead the second-ranked Hawks to an 83-58 rout of Massachusetts in another Atlantic 10 Conference mismatch.

One of two unbeaten teams in Division I, St. Joseph's (25-0, 14-0 A-10 East) is one win shy of tying the 1995-96 Massachusetts team for the best start by an Atlantic 10 school.

A game at Rhode Island on Saturday and a home contest against St. Bonaventure next Tuesday is all that stands between the Hawks and an unblemished regular season.

Ben

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This is an amazing run, what kindof team were they alst year?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
Stanford won yet again last night lead bby Childress with 32 points and 11 rebounds.

The question of the day is who is better Stanford or Saint Joe's.

I'm still not fooled, they sucked last year. I think that it is a mistake and all luck. I'm not convinced yet.

top topics

join