It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: Storybook ending for Junior at Daytona.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It took his father 20 years to be crowned the champion of the greates race in NASCAR. It took Jr only 5 tries. And it wasn't a cheap move that won the race, it was just plain ole great driving by a great driver. To solidify his dominance at Daytona, Dale Jr also won a 125 Gatorade qualifying race, and then went on to win the BUSCH Hersheys Kiss 300 on Monday, lets call that a Hat Trick. It was all anybody could do but sit back and watch history unfold. 3 years to the day that his father hit the wall, Jr climbed out of his car at the start/finish line and thanked the crowd.

ESPN.com
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The words echoed so loudly through the Daytona International Speedway that they sounded like they were meant for the heavens above.

Truth be told, they might have been.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s 2001 victory in the Pepsi 400, just five months after the death of his father on the same Daytona track, was a big deal. Some call it the most emotional victory in NASCAR history. But winning the actual Daytona 500, passing the same turn where his father's life ended so tragically three years earlier in the same race, on the same track, left Dale Earnhardt Jr. with one prevailing thought on Sunday.

Comments:
I was pulling for Jr. I have always been an Earnhardt fan, not sure why. I just did not expect Jr to dominate the rest of the field. Dale said before the race that his car was a beast when it got out in front. Stewart could do nothing at the end, even with drafting help, Jr just drove away from him.

Unbelievable is about all I can say. And I agree with Dale Jr, Dale Sr was sitting on the passenger side of that car the whole race.

Loved the race, and the ending. But Dale, I hate your paintjob.

[Edited on 2/16/2004 by crayon]

TRD

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well it was a great feat by Dale JR,i don't know too much about him but the sounds of all the noise being made by everyone he must be a excellent driver! A chip of the old block as they say!

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Great job, it must feel great to keep that winning streak in the family. IM sure his father is looking down happy.

Great race and great hat trick. Lets see if he can keep this up.

new topics

join