It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Mad Skillz! Roenick perfect all around as East wins skills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
In what can only be explained as a great night of hockey skills, there were some unexpected happenings. Roenick apologizing to a ref, then going perfect in the accuracy competition. 2 players with 102.2 MPH slap shots. Martin St. Louis using Dwayne Roloson like a rented mule. And a defensemen as the fastest skater. It was a fun watch as the East defeated the West in the Super Skills competition. And the expected big boos for Todd Bertuzzi.

News Source Associated Press
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Jeremy Roenick had a perfect night, showing off his precision shooting and apologizing to a referee.

Roenick knocked out all four targets in only four shots to win the accuracy shooting event in the NHL All-Star skills competition Saturday night.
In this feel-good weekend, Roenick called over to Angus during an interview and said he was sorry.

"My apologies for the water bottle, buddy," Roenick said. "You're a good referee and I think everybody in this place should know it."

Comments:
Wow that was fun to watch. The Super Skills are always a showcase of the talent the NHL produces. The new in-the-zone competition is a great add to the skills. Makes the goalie go side to side, but in a very controlled manner. Lowers the opportunity for injury I think. All in all I think it was a great start to All-Star weekend. And it ends Sunday at 2pm Central time.

[Edited on 2/8/2004 by crayon]

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It was a fun night to watch on TV, i like the fastest skater competition and the break-away challenge, it was good like you said crayon to see a defensmen to win that comp.

Also to see the goalies stone some of the players in the "in the zone" and in the breakaway challenge was fun to watch.

It should be a high scoring game, with all the high scores.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yeah JR defended his accuracy crown, although it took him 6 shots to win last year and as crayon noted he was a stellar 4 for 4 last night!

Showed alot of class apologizing to ref Angus as well, although he did miss that call in that game where JR threw the water bottle at him, cost him several stitches and a couple teeth.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hehe, Great pick. JR played it like you are supposed to. Take your time, and only shoot 4 times.

I agree that the high sticking call was missed. Not sure what to do about it. My question is, did either of the linesmen see it?

I say take away 1 ref, and give the linesmen the power to call things like that. They already have the power to call too many men on the ice.

But I digress. Great job by Roenick. I was impressed.

*Edit: can't speel

[Edited on 2/8/2004 by crayon]

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
was anybody else impressed with how teh goalies played?

top topics

join