It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Roberts: Low Pay Threatens Judiciary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Pay for federal judges is so inadequate that it threatens to undermine the judiciary's independence, Chief Justice John Roberts says in a year-end report critical of Congress.

Roberts said the judiciary will not properly serve its constitutional role if it is restricted to people so wealthy that they can afford to be indifferent to the level of judicial compensation, or to people for whom the judicial salary represents a pay increase.

Federal district court judges are paid $165,200 annually; appeals court judges make $175,100; associate justices of the Supreme Court earn $203,000; the chief justice gets $212,100. Low Pay Threatens Judiciary

I can see both sides of this, but it still strikes me as somewhat tacky. Of course, their job is a heavy load, but as Justice, asking for a pay raise? Don't we want good people to be in here, where pay is not the aspiration, but justice? It isn't like 200k, plus personal living expenses, is a pauper's wage. I don't know, looking at the numbers I think a wage increase should occur somehow, but a Justice asking for it, and saying it isn't enough, well it seems to be a nice salary to me.

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm no expert on the justice system or their wages. But I do know one thing, a six figure salary is not something you would ever catch me complaining about. An adequate pay is certainly something these individuals deserve, but considering the salary they currently make, times do not seem to be too tough.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think the problem is that it is not unheard of for a top lawyer to make over $500K a year. I am a law school student and would like to do well and get a return on my investment, but $500K is a little excessive for a lawyer. Perhaps if our society were less litigious and are legal system were streamlined, a six figure salary would be a fair market wage for a top legal mind.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There's another thread discussing this subject. Both threads opening within minutes of each other.

As there is more replies in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I suggest you please post your comments there.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join