It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan tops Conservatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The war in Afghanistan has been announced as this years story of the year. The Canadian solider has been announced as the News maker of the year. I believe it is a required and fitting tribute to our young men and women who are putting their lives on the line. Our soldiers have seen a jump in attacks in the last twelve months which has translated into the deadliest year thus far. I honestly would be saddened if I had of read the article to find out that Stephen Harper and the Conservative party were the story and news maker of the year.

Afghanistan tops poll on story of the year

Canadians made a spectacular switch from Liberal to Conservative governing regimes in 2006, but a gritty little war half a world away was the overwhelming choice as the top Canadian news story of the year.

The war in Afghanistan started in 2001 and steadily faded from the world's headlines as the focus shifted to Iraq, but five years later Canada's small part in the fight to calm the country hit home with bloody clarity.

Newspaper editors and broadcasters left no doubt that Canada's mission in Afghanistan was the top news story of the year. In the annual poll by The Canadian Press and Broadcast News, the war in Afghanistan easily outranked the Conservatives' electoral victory by a margin of 91-44. The Canadian Soldier was chosen the Canadian Newsmaker of the Year in poll results announced last week.

Link to Article

Thirty six lives have been lost in the last year. Nothing we do, say, or read is going to bring these men and women back to their family. But the least we can do is pay respect to their life and the cause they believe in. I do not support the war, but I do everything in my power to support the lives that are over there. This is a very small accolade, but it is one that should work as a reminder to those who are going to war, that we are watching, we are listening, and we do support you.

I've authored an ATSNN article not too long ago in frustration to the fact our media does not shine enough light on these brave souls. In light of this latest announcement, some of that frustration has been alleviated.

A small story like this instills a strong sense of patriotism in me. The maple leaf is something I hold dear to my heart and I cherish every man and woman that goes to battle for our nation.

I offer my congratulations to all those who were involved in rewarding this accolade to the appropriate recipient.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think that is awesome that they gave time to pay respect to those fallen in service to their country. Of course, this will be seen as politically motivated, but it isn't so much in my opinion, if you don't make it out to be political. I am proud of all our soldiers, regardless of what their leaders are telling them to do. The fact that they are sticking to their oath, and doing right by it, is honorable in my opinion, and goes beyond words.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Good choice by the CP.

Every single one of our soldiers is worth 10 Stephen Harpers and they deserve to get some recognition for it.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Every single one of our soldiers is worth 10 Stephen Harpers and they deserve to get some recognition for it.

Could not agree more.

I've had two friends head to Afghanistan in late November. They could not of jumped quicker at the opportunity to defend our country. I applaud them for it and I wish them a speedy return home.

I am curious to hear some thoughts on the issue.

Should our Canadian troops be pulled from Afghanistan? Personally, I would love to see it. But I'm unsure of the effect, such a move, would have on our relations with our southern counterpart.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'm a little tired right now, so I'll come back to this after I've finally gotten some sleep, but I wanted to give a quick answer to keep the discussion moving.

I'm of two minds when it comes to withdrawing from Afghanistan. I hate it that our soldiers are dying and they're going to be there for years to come if we stay. However, I'm a big believer in the old saying 'You break it, you buy it'. We helped break it and now we have to take responsibility and see it through to the end. I think we owe it to the people of Afghanistan to stay and rebuild their country.

If the Afghani government asks us to leave, we should. While they are begging us to stay (which they are), I think it would be wrong of us to turn our backs on them.

When I ponder the question of whether we should be in there, the US is the last country I'm worried about. There's a lot of trash talking from both sides of the border, but the bottom line is that we need each other and a third-world country on the other side of the globe probably isn't going to have much effect on the relationship.

I bet half of America doesn't even know we're in Afghanistan.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The heart wrenching wails of a pipper standing on a lit tarmac in 30 degree night air with 800 men and women on parade all bidding farewell to 4 brothers in arms who were taken from this earth when so many need their courage. The quient lul of the as the Col. gives his final words "You're ok jumper" and the heart crushing sound more powerful than thunder brings even the most hardened of soldiers to tears as his hand slaps each of the coffins which lay befor the open belly of an aircraft those 4 men should be walking into with thoughts of home, friends, family and love that awaits them.
The procession takes each of these silver coffins and make their way into the cavernous abyss, their final flight home from a country which is truely worlds away.
The pippers continue to play there solem vow of Amazing Grace until each casket is set in it's place. A friend sits beside to accompany them on the last flight home.

As the last lock snaps shut on the belly of the white whale which eluded them each of us takes a moment and makes a promise, not to God, not to their families but to themselves that we will fight on, we will bring hope, peace and we swear upon our own lives we will remember.

Dedicated to Sgt. Leger, Cpl Dwyer, Pte. Green, Pte. Smith.

Cpl. Estell J.E.
(Arcticnull)

new topics

top topics

join