It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Indicted in Katrina Murders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Seven New Orleans police officers have been indicted on several charges including first degree murder and attempted first degree murder. On the Danziger bridge in New Orleans, two individuals were murdered while four were wounded.

www.cnn.com
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- A deadly gunfight on a bridge in the anarchy-filled days following Hurricane Katrina became a symbol of the city's loss of control. Now, more than a year later, seven police officers face charges in the shootings.

A grand jury indicted the officers on murder or attempted murder charges Thursday in the September 4, 2005, deaths of two men and wounding of four other people on the Danziger Bridge.

One of the victims was a mentally retarded man, Ronald Madison, who had been shot seven times -- five times in the back, according to the coroner.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are certain details of this event that are sticking out and causing me serious grief.

■ Ronald Madison, had been shot seven times -- five times in the back, according to the coroner
■ Officers say they opened fire after a civilian reached for a gun; no weapon found

Madison, who is mentally handicap, was shot seven times. Five of which were placed in his back. A man who did not possess any sort of weapon. Reports from separate New Orleans police officers defend certain post-Katrina behaviours due to a backlash from looters, victims, etc. I can sympathize with the task the police had, it was a task that most of us can not even begin to comprehend. But when a coroner removes five bullets from a man's back, any defense is thrown out the window.

Initial police reports had read that the reporting officers had taken fire from the seven individuals who were running. They returned fire, which lead to the deaths of James Brissette (19) and Ronald Madison (40).

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There was also a witness who allegedly saw things going on from above, which I had covered here. That might give you some more reading on the subject, plus there is a link to the initial thread.

It's been recieving a lot of talk around here, that's for sure. What saddens me more though, is the complete lack of surprise by many people I know. It was indeed a incredibly stressful time, but the use of lethal force, and the rules that go along with it, are not suspended in a state of emergency.

Figures that our Chief Riley is all in a hullabullo state over this, whining of the choice of words the DA used to describe this, totally deflecting from what's going on. :shk:

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Being from the area, I am sure you have some serious first hand stories to share nb. Thank you for your reply. I'll check out the link now to read up on what you have provided.

What is the current state of the police force down there these days? Are they under the microscope? Facing scrutiny from the post-Katrina weeks?

join