It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Kit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hi all.

For a fishing kit I would buy a cheap telescopic rod and reel. These kits are about £3-5. A small box containing a couple of weights, assortment of hooks, 2 disgorgers and some small floats and a few slpit shots. This should fit in a tobacco tin.

Remember, You can use small twigs as floats, I used to do this when I was young and lost my floats. just put a float rubber on the line and push a twig through. When a fish bites the twig makes a diving action.
A small spool of good line be it braid or mono will do for years as long as its kept in good condition.
Bait can be found everywhere, Worms, Slugs, grubs, berries.

I will list what my emergency fishing kit carries later.
If anyone is really interested please U2U me.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Not ever having tried Freshwater Fishing I cannot comment on gear to be used. I am of the Sea/Beach Fishing type of Angler.

Living on a small diamond-shaped Island like I do, I have fished in most types of beach fishing environment.

If space is not an issue and your 'retreat' is nearby then i would suggest a good 12-14ft beachcaster with fixed-spool reel, 20lb line and assorted stainless steel hook sizes ..... never ignore small hooks. Fish sizes and rules wont matter in a survival situation.

You could also add a boat rod to the collection as well.

I agree with owning a telescopic rod, they are effective and useful and always good as a standby rod.

I personally wouldnt fish with a rod and line in a survival situation off the beach, unless i had loads of time to kill, i would tend to favour a ''Trot-Line'' method.

[edit on 15/6/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yeah you would want to include the thought of both fresh and salt water survival into your ideas.A simple telescoping rod,steel leaders,flies,all sized hooks,split shot sinkers,surface and deep water spoons,jigs,rapala's.I would say 15 lbs test along with a knife.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Fishing with a pole in a survival situation is like hunting with a gun in same. It just doesn't work. It is much better to trap and get a better use of your time and energy.

there are many post about fishing traps a little research is called for here.

Traps also are less conspicuous and make you harder to find. Sitting on the shore or wandering around in the woods only make you a better target.

By the way Ragnar Benson is one of my favorite Authors of survival related info, check him out.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hi WOTAN.

Just thinking, I was watching Ray Mears the other night and he was with this other chap ( name eludes me ), but they were collecting limpets, muscles and sea weed and all other sorts of protein. So you could always fish and collect food.

I know Ray has done some good books on finding food at the coast, a worth while investment I would say.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Totally right.. 'pole fishing' is a shocking waste of time in life or death sit..

It still doesn't stop the fact that it's fun and challenging though.

Here's one of my latest gadgets..
www.iwantoneofthose.com...

Sooo cool but not practical really I suppose..just over one n a half times the length of a marker pen 'packed'.

Definitely something to use when food is not an urgent requirement or your base camp is set and stocked with essentials.
FUN..

Originally posted by colec156 I was watching Ray Mears the other night and he was with this other chap ( name eludes me ),...

Yeah the 'posh old twit' who collected far too many limpets so Ray made him eat then all

I forget his name too.. deliberately I think

[edit on 17-6-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Freshwater area here. In a purely survival situation I'd want 6 lb test line, small bait hooks, a few sinkers, maybe a few corks, and a pair of gloves. Find some grubs and just use your hands. Throw the hook in place of casting, let it sit there at the right depth with the use of the cork, and if you get a bite, just draw the line in by hand protected by gloves, in place of reel.

That said I agree with those who have said that fishing in a survival situation could well be a waste of time. It depends. If you have been mobile, odds are you know nothing about the lake or stream you are fishing first of all, if you do that's different. On the other hand if you catch a fish that is 2 lbs or better, that's pretty much a meal for the night. There are other reasons to fish other than just for food as well. Just one example, sewing needles from the bones.

I know most would have a knife with them as a high priority tool, but how do you clean a fish without a knife or scaler?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hi all,

I've read this thread and haven't seen anything about a trot line.
This is the most simple and compact way of fishing that I've seen or heard of.
I can't give first hand info on them but if the are good enough to be put into a song (A county boy can survive?), guess they work.

Info here:
www.marshbunny.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hi again,

Got to thinking about the trot line I mentioned.
Instead of a swivel at the top of the drop line, I think I would put on a "snap swivel" (the kind with a hook) so I could remove the drop lines and store the main line in/on a TP roll or the like and store the hooks separately.

Just a thought.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join