It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Kit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I am working on my BOB and mini survival kits. I'm not an expert fisherman so I was hoping to get some input on the perfect fishing kit. Although I need it to be as compact as possible I don't want to sacrifice quality and durability for a little weight or size.

I tried some of the military issue kits but I find that they could be much better.

THanks

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
20 lb line is great for general use. Use larger than normal hooks as well, less chance of wear and tear / misuse snapping / breaking them.

Also, start making swim traps out of strips of sharpend wood.. i'll see if theres an online guide to show you what i mean, but they are great replacements for actual line and hooks.

above all, remember that if the stuff hits the fan, the hooks and line may be the difference between warm and fed, and cold and hungry.

Practise with them as much as you can in good conditions, then the bad won't catch you out.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I recommend getting a beginners guide book to fishing. Not all fish are that good to eat and different fish swim and feed in different places. Knowing where to fish, what your fishing for, and what baits is vital. It will make the difference between a rather bony tiddler and nice fat trout

Although, if you have access to explosives, even small amounts, the shockwaves from a detonation would be enough to stun plenty of fish to eat. Just don't be caught in the explosion yourself!

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Thanks, I'd appreciate the guide if you can find anything. All great advice to start with. What do you guys think about spyder wire for combo fishing line and general repairs?

I always thought it would be fun throwing a stick of dynamite into a lake and catch the fish falling out of the sky. Unfortunatley I just don't have the room in my kit for it.

THanks

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
found a small fish thrap at my second favorite site this one is for minnows but it gives you the basick idea

instructables.com

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have been browsing this board this weekend and posting in different threads when I ran across this one which sounded so familiar.

Great post on the fishing trap.
I recall an article in National Geographic where an anthropologist was researching indiginious tribes in New Guinea. He taught them to make a fish trap for the shallow streams so that they could be more effecient than their native manner of fishing with a spear or by hand. They took to it quite readily and marveled at it. It was made of staves..like a box and tied together with strips cut from trees or vines.
His main concern was did he make a catastrophic change in the enviornment or eco system with this device.

There is a guy who writes some books under the Pen Name ..Ragnar Benson..on survival techniques.
As I recall from years ago..he has some diagrams in his books on how to build a fish trap and duck traps. Also other traps and snares for four legged wildlife. Also for those intrested some traps and snares for two legged wildlife.

Nevertheless a fishing trap is a good idea when time does not allow one to hang around fishing with a rod or hand line or even have the materials.

I have used homemade fishing poles consisting of a cut of piece of bamboo pole about 20 inchs long. Very short and stiff. I put my own eye on the end of it...even used a piece of the end of a zip tie for a eye on the end and bound it on the bamboo with 20 pound fishing line. My current eye on this homemade pole is one from the middle of an olde fishing pole and bound to the pole with fishing line and locktite glue....super glue.
THe reel was a cheap reel from a yard sale and hose clamped to the bamboo. I have also used hand lines ..just a simple spool of line from Wally World a hook and or artificial baits on the end. I have caught many a fish with this rig and cooked them the next day. It is small and portable. Not quite as portable as a hand line but still portable enough for my backpack. I am not looking for photo style and finesse here but only dinner.

Hope this is of some help.

What I have been considering carefully along this line in a survival overview is the question of the shelf life of different fishing lines. That is a question which will be of importance in this type of scenerio..long term.

Hooks and such can be stored and preserved ..what about fishing line and shelf life??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
In a pinch fish can be "tickled" from undercut bank of streams. Grab them fast and throw them to the opposite bank. Stealth is the operative term when using this technique.

Also fish can be shot if you know how to make allowance for refraction and depth of the water, with a bow or pistol.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I've seen 20 lb. fishing line mentioned here a couple of times and assume it refers to monofilament. Mono fishing line will nick and kink and also get brittle as it gets older. I'm a musky fisherman and when fishing for these toothy predators the common type of line used is a superbraid. Very little stretch, does not nick like mono, and 80 lb. test has the same diameter as 17 lb. mono. There are a number of brands from 4 or 6 lb. up to 250 lbs. The lighter tests have a thickness almost like hair. I fish with Power Pro and SpiderWire.

Very tough stuff. It can fray, but is far stronger than monfilament. Learn to tie a double palomar knot and it's almost unbreakable.

I don't know jack about survival, but I know about tough fishing line. If I was heading out into the wilderness for a while I'd take a couple of spools of Power Pro, not 20 lb. mono.

[edit on 31-12-2006 by Musky]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
What is the shelf life on that super braid line. This is the first time I have heard of that term ...super braid. I will file it away for future use.

Understand about monofilament aging thusly. The same goes for poly type rope. UV light will age it and make it less strong over time.

What is the shelf life of super braid or spyder wire...does it age well say ...over 5 years on a reel?? Verses mono of course??

UNderstand about using different knots ..this is true of any type line. The knot can make a big difference in how well it can be used.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'd like to contribute more to this thread, since it's a subject of great interest for me (I've probably been fishing longer than I've been walking).

The cost for braided line is prohibitive for many people. It is superior in almost every way, the only exceptions are that it frays more easily and one must take a bit more care in tying the knots. Being as thin as it is, braided wire line forms tighter knots and can damage itself more easily than mono can, precisely because it's so thin and the knots are so tight. That's my experience anyway.

Now braided lines are not really damaged by exposure to sunlight, heat, oil, moisture, or salt - something that cannot be said for monofilaments. Of course, you can fish with decades-old monofilament if it's been stored properly, so keep that in mind. The shelf-life is a matter of conjecture, as far as I know, since no decades-long studies have been conducted.

I read something somewhere about sheathing it in hollow dacron fishing line, to protect it from itself so to speak - this is done at the connection to the lead, so that the knot bearing most of the stress is covered. I found a link, here (scroll down past the table to get to the text).

www.fishingkites.co.nz...

As far as I know, this is the best way to utilize the strength of braided line.

Below are some general-use knots useful for fishermen - it's very important to know what to do with the line once you have it.

www.fishingcairns.com.au...

One final comment, pertaining to hooks. One member reccomended carrying only large hooks - I disagree. Panfish are plentiful (where I live, at least), easy to catch, and quite tasty, and they are much more inclined to bite on a smaller hook. Variety in hook sizes is key if you're putting together a fishing kit intended to be useful in a variety of survival situations.

Just because you're fishing for your dinner doesn't mean you have to ignore the small fish, in fact, if you're fishing for your dinner you probably can't afford to ignore the small fish.

Use a hook of the size appropriate for the fish you're trying to catch - know what's in the body of water and choose accordingly. Don't take a tiny hook to sea and, conversely, don't use something that looks like a meathook if your quarry is only as big as your hand.

Hopefully I'll be able to post more later. Great idea for a thread, BTW.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I thank you for your well written post and the references. I have bookmarked them for future use.

Agree about the hooks. A wise assortment is in order. They are cheap and available now. If certain events happen they will disappear quickly like batterys around here before a hurricane arrives.

Reading your post got me to thinking about something that happened to me while grilling lunch at a picnic wayside here in Virginia. The wayside was near a small river. After we had eaten I took my small set of binoculars I keep in my truck and watched the river which flowed past the wayside. A branch was sticking out over the river and in the branch were a number of nests of silkworms. Every now and then a worm would drop out of the nest and into the river. Very quickly there would be a splash and the fish would feed on the droppings. I watched this with envy for about 45 minutes. The whole time thinking these fish are not stupid..they know quickly where he food is... Also...wow!! what I would give for a fly rod ..to cast just upstream with a worm type fly and let it flow down past that spot. They were probably some kind of brim or pan sized fish.

It has always given me great pleasure to observe such a event in the wild....as it naturally is. I am sure early man learned to do the same.

Thanks for the info,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
When I was living in the Amazon I used both a hand cast net, and hand tossed fishing spears. This was what the native Yanomami I was living with used and they have been fishing in the Amazon basin for well over 10,000 years. Making a hand cast net is quite easy with todays materials once you learn how to weave the material.

Spear fishing from a dug out canoe is also fairly easy once you learn how to compensate for the refraction of the water. The same is true for bow fishing which we also did. They use very small, almost child sized bows for fishing.
There are two basic types of spear. One with a fixed head for smaller fish and one with a pop off head for larger fish. With larger fish there is a line attached to the spear tip. When the spear is thrown into the fish the tip comes off the shaft and by pulling in on the line you can haul in the fish.

We also ate a lot of piranha caught with a drop line. They are quite tasty but have too many small bones to fillet properly.

Fish traps and fish weirs are also very useful and not too difficult to make. Laying a small weir across a river will direct fish into your trap increasing your catch.

I would not advise using explosives, poisons or shotguns for fishing. That's just wrong for so many reasons.

Depending on where you are and what type of fish are available will make a big difference on what type of gear you want to include in your survival fishing kit.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

The cost for braided line is prohibitive for many people. It is superior in almost every way, the only exceptions are that it frays more easily and one must take a bit more care in tying the knots. Being as thin as it is, braided wire line forms tighter knots and can damage itself more easily than mono can, precisely because it's so thin and the knots are so tight. That's my experience anyway.

The shelf-life is a matter of conjecture, as far as I know, since no decades-long studies have been conducted.

Super braids are expensive compared to mono, however, because they do not kink or nick, musky fishermen rationalize they are more of a bargain than mono which needs more frequent replacement and thus more frequent purchase. Even those that fish much more often than I do, will use a spool for at least two seasons turning it around on the reel after the first season of use. Remember, this is the fish of 10,000 casts, LOL, and in a full day of fishing a real die hard might fire 400-700 casts of a 2-8 ounce bait. So the stuff is obviously tough. Only a foot or so needs to be cut off every couple times out if it's not frayed.

I have to admit to being new to fishing muskies just this last season, but have fished with a number of guides, some of which could be considered high profile fishermen. I also frequent a number of forums where famous fishermen sometimes contribute. I have never heard anyone express concern about it harming itself due to knot tightness.

Musky guys are different from most fishermen in that most practive 100% catch and release. They prefer the braids specifically because the knots won't fail. Any self respecting musky man would be absolutely mortified at the thought of a trophy musky swimming around with a 9" bait stuck in its face due to a knot failure.

I have no idea about shelf life. I agree about the studies. The stuff hasn't been around that long. Seems like it could have plenty of other uses in a pinch.

Remember if targeting fish with teeth, you'll need leaders because all lines cut, though some easier than others. I would keep a good supply of small hooks like previously mentioned. Small fish are much tastier, especially in freshwater, and also much easier to catch. Even a pile of the tiniest bluegills would keep you alive, I guess, and those could be caught with a stick, some line, a tiny hook, and smidgen of worm dug out of the ground.

This is the first time I feel like I have contributed a little bit since I've started visiting this sight. Now if anyone has survival questions pertaining to golf, I could probably really pitch in.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky

This is the first time I feel like I have contributed a little bit since I've started visiting this sight. Now if anyone has survival questions pertaining to golf, I could probably really pitch in.

FORE!!!!!! or is it FOUR!!??

Thanks to you also for the information.

I enjoy such discussions and exchanges of informations and Ideas. And of course the fishing storys.

What I know about Golf survival is that I was surprised to learn how many important buisness and other decisions are arrived at and dediced on the links..even at the 19th hole.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
My advice would be to not waste your time fishing. All the time that you are sitting there just waiting, or worse, wasting your energy casting lures, you could have collected a lot of plants and berries that will give you just as much nutrients. Eat snails, bugs, snakes, frogs, and turtles instead. They will be easier to find and catch than fish.

All the people talking about 20 pound line, you will never get a bite from a trout or salmon with line like that. They will see it and avoid it. You need 6-8 pound line ideally so that fish won't notice the line, even on a sunny day. The problem is that if you have a lower test line, you will need a reel that you can set the drag on so that the fish won't simply snap the line. Instead of what people have been suggesting so far, I would buy a fairly cheap rod and break it off so that it's about a foot in length. Just enough to attach the reel to and be able to properly reel and hold it, but compact enough to fit in your bag. Then you will want some hooks, sinkers, and swivels (By the way, you'll want to learn how to tie them too.) A few plastic jigs would be smart as well. They look and feel enough like worms to entice fish, except they don't deteriorate like real worms do. A few good lures would be smart to throw in as well. I would say Cleos as they will catch trout, salmon, pickeral, bass, etc.

If you follow some of the earlier info, you will be pretty much limited to catching suckers like carp and catfish, or will just end up with a broken line.

And quite important, MAKE SURE YOUR HOOKS HAVE BARBS. Or your fish will just get away.

Of course, you will want to practice before anything happens too. If you are so interested, just go out and get a fishing liscence. They're only about $20 a year. In stores, most fish cost at least $8 a pound. So if you catch 2 or 3 fish, you're pretty much breaking even. If you go a couple of times a week, you're going to catch a lot more than that, though. But that way, you will be familiar with fishing. You'll know how to get out of snags without losing your line, where and when to fish, and what it is like fighting a fish.

Just like making fire, you definately don't want your first time to be in a do-or-die survival situation.

Also be aware that there are many ILLEGAL methods of fishing that are much more effective than using a rod and reel. Assuming you would be in a survival situation, there are easier ways of doing things. I'm not advocating you throw dynamite into the river, but in a survival situation, anything is fair game.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Braid line is really costly. For my compact fishing kit I have some MicroFilament 50LB test line. Most of what I may fish is salmon, trout and an assortment of bottom feeders so I have no need of specialty line. There is saltwater and freshwater and although the MicroF line isn't that great for salt water (corrosive) I have 2X500yards of the stuff.

It's a basic general purpose line, good weight, not hard on the reel/rod and has low memory (fishing line can stretch out and that's when it usually snaps).

Fly fishing is my thing really, but given the fact I'll likely not use my compact kit on a fishing holiday LOL I omitted the fly line.

A good line, rod and hooks are really important. As well as having a set of needle nosed plyers in your kit.

The line I have cost about 40-45 bucks new...I got mine second hand at a garage sale for 2 bucks each. Never used. Still in the box.

The fishing rod I got as a gift and the hooks, lures and bobbers I collected/inherited/made myself.

It all folds down into a nice neat kit weighing about 5LBS give or take an oz.

The rod is an older Shakespear spin and cast I think it's the predecessor to the Ugly Stick?? the label is gone LOL it's so old.

I was thinking of getting a telescopic later on but I'm not sure if i trust them really...don't know of anyone who's used one so there's no real comparison.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
One poster above has a point and I myself need to read up on edible plants and bugs etc.. I live close to the sea so fishing would be a natural extension around here.

I choose 20 to 30 pount test line not just for fishing but for other utility reasons. ,sewing, making certain repairs etc...even for sutures if necessary though probably smaller test would be better.

They are correct however in that certain fish would not bite on such line. Depending on your location and what kind of fish are local..adjust your fishing line/equipment accordingly.

The thing about fish if it is readily available is that it is a quick source of protein. You have to consume alot of berrys and grubs to equal the protein of fish or other game.Those without hunting, tracking, and stalking experience will find hunting deer very difficult compared to fishing. Those who have neither experience...good luck ..your going to need it. Remember ...you are in their territory now...you need a different kind of thinking and observation skills than just working a remote controller/telephone keypad. Same with getting the correct vegitation.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Anyone know about yo-yo reels? I read that they are spring loaded and will reel on it's own if pulled.

Also, don't under-estimate bivalves. Many times clamming is effortless and abundant. In about an hour, I found enough to fill a 5 gal. bucket. A small blade in one pocket and some hot sauce in the other makes the day fun.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
What about leaders? Would you include some in your kit? And would you choose a mono-filiment type, wire or several of both. I would think the wire ones could double as a smal snare.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I would include some in my kit only because They dont weigh anything and take up very little space. As to there use. If fishing for survival ime not going to go after anything that would require a leader because there too hard to catch. Pan fish are extreamly easy and there is a whole lot more of them. One last thought here.

A leader can come in handy for turtles. Turtles are great survival food. full of nutriance. Hard to get but well worth the effort.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by angryamerican]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join