It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Hacks - What else can Google do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I stumbled across this site by a dutch guy who works for Google. He has a lot of different searches you can conduct with Google that are "not the norm".

The projects listed below are Google Hacks in that they use Google for something fun or interesting in a way that Google was not designed for.

Google stimulates these projects in a limited way. The Google API allows programmers to do up to a 1000 searches a day from their own projects. Pretty neat, except for that a 1000 is not that much when a service becomes public, especially since some hacks below use more than one search per operation.

So, in order to use some of the hacks below, you'll need your own Google key. You can get it at Google for free and you'll need it at other sites with Google hacks too.

Taken from here...
douweosinga.com...

Here is what he offers...

Poetry in Translation
Poetry in Translation uses Googles Automatic Translation service to translate sentences from English to German, then to French and then back to German again with sometimes funny results.

Google Talk
Ever wondered what Google would say if it could talk? Wonder no more. Enter three or four words and Google will finish your thoughts by searching for what comes next after these words.

Visual Poetry
Poetry is supposed to project images in your mind. VisualPoetry translates any text into a series of images by looking up the words on Google image search and projecting the most relevant results as a slide show.

Word Color
Word Color is a windows program that uses Google Image Search to determine the color of a word or string of words. It goes out there, retrieves the top 9 images and loops through all pixels, calculating the average hue, which is later converted to a color.

Google News Map
Google News Map shows a map of the World with on top of it projected the latest headlines according to Google News, pointing with their upper left corner to the country where it refers to.

Google Date
Google Date lets you enter a date and then searches using Google for what happened on that date and shows three results. Since Google isn't very good at sorting documents for relevance when it comes to dates, it usually doesn't give you a list of big events, but of the things happening in the lives of random people.

Google Random Image
Google Random Image is a little _javascript code that scans the html of the page it is on and uses that to find a matching image on Google Image Search, which is then displayed. This way you can always have a fresh image on your site/blog.

Land Geist
Land Geist is a combination of Googles Zeit Geist, Google Mind Share and Visited Countries. For keywords like 'war', 'poverty', 'party', this project shows which country (names) have the highest relative scores (google shares). I.e. 35% of all pages with the word Iraq on them, also contain the word War, making Iraq leader for war, just after Afghanistan and North-Korea. The axis of evil appear therefore in red.

Google Share
Implementation of Google Share, as come up with by Steven Berlin Johnson. Type a domain (ie. Beatles), and some Items (John, Paul, Ringo, George) and you get a list of their relative popularity within that domain.

Google History Artificial Intelligence with a little help from our friend google. Use Google to find out in what year something happened. Workds for events between 1800 and now.

Google Battle
Use Google to determine which of two terms is more popular on the Internet. Who is the more popular painter, Van Gogh or Rembrandt? The Beatles or the Stones?

Google Best Time to Visit
Google Best Time to Visit is a simple application of using Google search results to extract knowledge. Here the question is, what is the best time to visit a place. This way you can learn when to plan your next holiday.

Google Pos
GooglePos is a small python script that uses the google api to find out what position your website has for a certain keyword (or set of). How do I score for Google Hacks?

Google Protocol
Google Protocol is a little app that when installed, registers two extra protocols similar to the http: and the ftp: protocols under windows, namely google: and lucky:. Urls starting with the first refer to the corresponding google search. Urls starting with the second refer to the top Google result.

NOTE: To use any of these hacks you need a Google key which Google will give you for free. There is a link on the site I linked.

Sorry if this has been done before but I thought some of you may find it interesting. I also don't know if there are more hacks as there are other sites with Google hacks. Does anyone know of any more, has anyone got any interesting results? Does anyone use these hacks? What do we think of them?

More here

[edit on 28/12/06 by Prote]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Google Trends

Did you ever try Google Trends?

www.google.com...

It's not a Google hack, but a real tool offered by Google. You input a search item. It outputs the popularity of that particular search over time, and by city or region. You can also input more that one word (separated by commas) to compare certain multiple search items' popularity relative to each other.

It's not as fun as some of these Google hacks, but it can get pretty interesting to see where and in the world and when certain topics were popular.

Just for fun, I input "Moon Hoax" (for the record, I believe we went there). I was surprised to see that the search for moon hoax was most popular in Aukland, New Zealand and Edmonton, Canada.

When I entered "Illuminati", Athens, Greece was #1 (?), but most interestingly, 7 of the top 10 cities were in Germany. Search interest in "Illuminati" peaked in 2005 and has been declining since. News referneces spiked sharply in around May of 2006, probably due to the "Da Vinci Code" movie.

It's kind of interesting . Try your own searches.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
im using google cache to show this site simply because it gets so busy sometimes that you cant get on it but there's loads of fascinating things to do on google there.

he even wrote a book on it

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Why google? Why not Yahoo or other search engine?

Whatever you can find in google, can be found in Yahoo. But not vice versa.

top topics

join