It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

underground shelter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I am considering building an underground "shelter" of sorts in my backyard. Can anyone here give me some advice on building one?

-SS

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I pretty much have my dimensions figured out for how long/wide I want it to be, I am more concerned with how deep I should make it and what building materials to use.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Is there anyone out there with a shelter already made that could provide me some insight? I have a basic idea of how I want the structure to go down, I would just like to know other peoples' ideas on their own shelters and what not

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Here are some manufacturers of underground shelter systems. If you peruse the various sites you'll fiund lots of helpful info concerning design and sizes. Or you could always write the check for a complete system.

Utah Shelters

SmartRoom

Radius

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Here are some manufacturers of underground shelter systems. If you peruse the various sites you'll fiund lots of helpful info concerning design and sizes. Or you could always write the check for a complete system.

Utah Shelters

SmartRoom

Radius

Thanks for the links, they help out a lot, but that's a bit out of my budget. Is there anyone who built their own shelter in their backyard?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Some time ago I read a series of articles concerning the construction of an underground shelter from discarded underground fuel (gasoline) storage tanks. With some research they can be had basically for the cost of transporting them. Then it's a matter of cleaning them out, welding and cutting and the excavation.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I think you can find what you are looking for here.

Nuclear War Survival Skills

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
what is the purpose of this shelter ? [ what are you hoping it will protect you against ]

what is your budget ?

what is your intended capacity ? [ both inhabitants and duration ]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
See my post in response to "crowbars" request on info for a shelter. CONCRETE....may suit your pocket better.
Great ideas can come cheap

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Look for a book called "How to build your own underground home" by Ray G. Scott. It's a bit dated (I think it comes from the 80s) but it seems quite thorough. I've never actually tried to build a house, and I've only skimmed the book, but it looks like it should give you at least a starting idea of what you want in a shelter and how to do it. Hopefully a library near you has it.

top topics

join