It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on aircrafts(Discovery Wings inspired)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I was watching Discovery Wings today, I think the show was about X-Planes. Anyway, I noticed that most of our flight advancements took place in the 50's. Mach speed, vertical takeoff, swept wings and alot more that I cant remember. I realize there was a push for this technology, because of the wars, but doesnt it seem that our flight tech has slowed down? What have we gotten in the last 50 yrs, stealth, and ummm, I am sure there is more but I cant think of any. Basically what I am trying to say is, why such a gunho approach and testing and many many diffrent types of aircraft in the 50s, but not much now. I am not saying they arent testing a million diffrent type of aircraft somewhere, and maybe thats what all the UFO sights are, but why not give us a little peak?

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
there is truth in your assertions here.

there have been improvements in the last 50 years in electronics for sure. I think weapons have improved a great deal also. Maybe the manufacturing process and materials used has improved greatly.

but there is evidence of great advancements in design and technical breakthroughs in the 50s as you suggest and some of those better efforts if actually produced may even still have relevancy today.

here is a link to a plane that was primarily designed in the 50s and for which some critics say would with retrofitted electronics still be a capable fighter even today.

www.avroarrow.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Maybe the point is that the next "barrier" is much more difficult to breach. Yes, there is technological advances occuring that you do not have knowledge of. And, yes, they are stepping us toward breaking through the next technological barrier; and with that break-through will come another apparent cluster of technological advancements. But the road between these bursts can be seen as boring if we do not view it correctly.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
there is truth in your assertions here.

there have been improvements in the last 50 years in electronics for sure. I think weapons have improved a great deal also. Maybe the manufacturing process and materials used has improved greatly.

but there is evidence of great advancements in design and technical breakthroughs in the 50s as you suggest and some of those better efforts if actually produced may even still have relevancy today.

here is a link to a plane that was primarily designed in the 50s and for which some critics say would with retrofitted electronics still be a capable fighter even today.

www.avroarrow.org...

Yes, the Avro Arrow is a sad story indeed. I don't know how they could order the best jet in the world to be destroyed.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   
In 50s..

By using Nazi blue prints and design personell..

Let me remind you.. Von Braun was the man who designed to you the rocket which took American in the space.
(and to the moon.. maybe.. if you even went there..)

Von Braun beign that Nazi who designed V-2 SRBMs..

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I've been watching the Wings Channel also.Yes there was major advancement in the 50's-60's but there was also a high rate of pilots being killed in that time flying experimental planes.Nowadays an airplane program is under the microscope.There's so much computer analyisis done today to each different part of a plane.I'd love to see the next super plane now but im just gonna hafta wait.

top topics

join