It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liverpool: Mellor aims to take chance

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Liverpool reserve team striker Neil Mellor will get a chance to impress when the Reds take on Millwall in the third round of the Carling Cup.

The 22-year-old was loaned out to West Ham last season, but failed to make an impact and is hoping to take his latest first-team opportunity with both hands.

He said: "The way I finished last season I was confident I could carry on where I left off, but Gerard Houllier had arranged for me to go on loan to Crewe.

"I was gutted over it because basically he was telling me that I wasn't in his plans for this season.

It was clear that his intentions were to sell me and this put me on a downer, but thankfully this all got scrapped when the new gaffer came in.

"The new manager has been very positive towards me. He said he would give me a chance."

Boss Rafa Benitez said of the Sheffield-born frontman: "Mellor is scoring goals in the reserves and this is an opportunity for him to show us his level.

"He is a different type of player than what we have up front in the first team, and for the future he could be very important. This is his chance."

4thegame

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
he may turn into a ok player, worth seeing how he turns out, although. i dont think he will follow in the footsteps of what owen and fowler did for the club from the youth system

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well we had him at West Ham on loan and he was nothing special. To be honest he was pretty crap...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
he is a more physical striker though, if he struggling in the 1st division, i doubt he will make at the priemership

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
He looked terrible when he played for us. He is a big lad but he was getting brushed off the ball and knocked all over the place. He looked about 2 stone overweight and couldn't hit a varn door at 20 paces.

Maybe it was because of inexperience?

But on what i have seen of him i can't see Liverpool playing him unless they really have to...

top topics

join