It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSTA-S 2S19 152MM SELF PROPELLED HOWITZER

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The 152 mm 2S19 MSTA-S self propelled howitzer is designed to defeat unsheltered and covered manpower, weapons and materiel to division level. MSTA-S entered service with the Russian Army in 1989.

MSTA-S comprises a turret mounted on a tracked armoured 6 x 6 chassis which has been based on elements of the T-72 and T-80 main battle tanks. It is manufactured by Uraltransmash of Ekaterinberg, Russia. Uraltransmash also produce a towed version, called MSTA- B, and have developed two new variants, 2S19M with a computerised fire control system and 2S19M1 with a NATO standard 155 mm gun.

ARMAMENT

The howitzer's 152 mm gun is the 2A64, manufactured by the Barrikady State Production Association, Volgograd, Russia, which produces a variety of large-caliber artillery armament for the Russian Army and Navy. Elevation is from +68 to -3 degrees with 360 degree traverse.

There is also a 12.7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun that is remotely controlled by the commander. Three smoke grenade dischargers are mounted on each side of the turret.

50 rounds of ammunition for the howitzer gun are carried onboard and 300 cartridges for the machine gun.

MUNITIONS

MSTA-S fires a variety of ammunition - HE-FRAG (high explosive fragmentation), HE-FRAG with base gas bleed, cluster projectiles with fragmentation submunitions and the Krasnopol laser-guided 152 mm projectile. It can also fire the 3RB30 jammer carrying projectiles which set up radio intereference to disrupt enemy communications. These have a range of 22 km and can jam frequencies between 1.5 to 120 MHz to a radius of 700 m.

The Krasnopol projectile has been developed by the KBP Instrument Making Design Bureau, Tula, and is designed to defeat armoured vehicles and weapon emplacements. It has inertial mid-course guidance and semi-active laser homing. The laser seeker is produced by LOMO of St Petersburg. The projectile has a range of 3 to 20 km, and can hit a target by the first shot without registration. Krasnopol is designated by the 1D15 (1D22) laser designator and has a 1A35 shot synchronisation system.

OPERATION

Ammunition and gun loading, laying and retargeting are highly automated, allowing maximum firing rate of 8 rounds per minute with onboard rounds and 6-7 rounds per minute with rounds from the ground. A battery of 8 MSTA-S can deliver 3 tons of projectiles on a target in one minute. The laying control system is co-ordinated with the fire control vehicle. All the onboard ammunition is stored in the turret and a mobile reloading tray allows loading and firing at all angles of laying without needing the gun to return to the loading position. A charge loading mechanism is also provided. The system provides automatic gun loading for projectiles and semi-automatic loading for charges. All the gunner has to do is hold the panoramic sight on the laying point. The commander also has control of the firing and laying equipment.

The design of the ammunition rack allows different types of projectiles to be stored in the same rack. The automatic loading mechanism can select the type of ammunition and control the loading and the number of rounds. Used ammunition cases are ejected automatically to reduce the build-up of waste gases.

There are separate conveyers in the rear of the turret that allow the loading of ground ammunition. Before the howitzer starts off, the projectile conveyer is folded and fixed on the turret and the charge conveyer is folded inside the turret.

PROPULSION

The 2S19 is powered by a diesel engine with direct injection and mixed supercharge. It is a high-speed, four-cycle, multi-fuel, liquid-cooled engine. The diesel engine has a maximum power of 574 to 617 kW (780 to 840 horsepower).

The running gear has torsion bar suspension with an adjustable damping system and automatic block mechanism without stabilising spades. Road speed is 60 km/hour with a range of 500 km.

Now this is some cool tank destroyer!

What do you people think?

P.S. forget the Russian vs. USA Tech forum its now past so you dont have to bombard me with this sucks! or that US is better.

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by Russian]

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by Russian]

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:50 AM
link   
About number produced / in Russian service?

And btw,

These have been used in anger in Chechenya..

To great effect..
(Like all artillery in there..)

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Read--> www.army-technology.com...

Sounds like M109A6 paladin food to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   
looks like this paladin is in trouble

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza
looks like this paladin is in trouble

Hehe , the paladin miss fire , ill see if i still have the video. Funny stuff.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Cool, dont know how there going to hit tanks? with Lasers ?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla

yes, laser designation and also artillery guided missiles
The Krasnopol Artillery Guided Weapon System

This weapon system is intended for first-shot defeat (without fire adjustment) of tanks, infantry fighting vehicles, artillery pieces, both moving and stationary, deployed in the open or in pits, as well as dugouts, bridges, ferries, and surface targets (combatant, landing and transport ships) at a range of 3 to 25 km.

The Krasnopol system does not require re-equipment of fire positions or command-observation posts. It can do without high-accuracy topographic, geodetic or meteorological data.

Firing the Krasnopol guided artillery projectile is performed both from towed pieces and self-propelled artillery pieces

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Cool, but whys that laser aiming towards a tree?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Cool, but whys that laser aiming towards a tree?

its probably a soldier inn the bushes designating the target ?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I Right Clicked the image and went to a webpage and I tried to see info about it, but theres none. I went to the sub directory (r00t). Says nothing about lasers, can you show me info?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I Right Clicked the image and went to a webpage and I tried to see info about it, but theres none. I went to the sub directory (r00t). Says nothing about lasers, can you show me info?

you mean like sci-fi movies lasers?
no, i meant laser DESIGNATION of the target for the projectile.. not some sci fi lasers

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Can you quote the right sentence? Well I just found The Uniform Resource Locator of the site, and right now, High-Energy Laser Defence would be able to take those on.

"We've shown that even an artillery projectile hurtling through the air at supersonic speed is no match for a laser," says Lieutenant-General Joseph Cosumano, head of the US Space and Missile Defense Command. "This latest test shifts the paradigm for defencive capabilities."

Quoted : Army Lt. Gen. Joseph Cosumano, head of the missile defense command.

Tuesday's test - the first time a laser had shot down an artillery shell - was part of a new series to determine MTHEL requirements and demonstrate the system's capabilities against a wide range of airborne targets.

In earlier tests in 2000 and 2001 the testbed focused on the threat of artillery rockets and shot down 25 Katyushas fired singly and in salvos (1).

The U.S. military has shot down dummy intercontinental missile warheads in tests both inside and outside the atmosphere using projectile weapons and is also examining the possible use of long-range lasers to burn up such warheads in flight.

1.) A simultaneous discharge of firearms.

Source: Kentucky.com

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
"2S19 Msta-S Self-Propelled Howitzer

While the Russian Army hoped to replace all of its 122mm and 152mm self propelled artillery with this howitzer, budgetary constraints mean this replacement will not be completed any time soon. At least one 2S19-equipped regiment served in Chechnya as part of the 8th Army Corps. The 2S19 is LGM-capable."

Link:
www.geocities.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Here is another cool cannon. It is called the PzH 2000 (Panzerhaubitze 2000). It is in service with Germany.

Photos:

Specifications
Country of origin Germany
Crew 3+2 (3 men sufficient for operation)
Weight 55 tons / MLC 60 tons
Length 11.669 m (overall) 7.920 m (hull)
Width 3.58 m
Heigth 3.06 m (turret roof)
Clearance 0.44m
Armament 1 X 155 / L 52
1 X 7.62 mm.

Ammunition 60 shells, 288 uni-charge modules or equivalent bag charges
Resupply 60 complete rounds by 2 crew members in less than 10 minutes 50 seconds
Elevation -2.5� to +65�; n x 360�
Maximum Range 30 km with standard NATO-projectiles
36.5km with base-bleed ammunition [proven]
up to 40 km with assisted projectiles

Rate of Fire 3 rounds less than 10 seconds
10 rounds per minute (for 1 minute)
20 rounds less than 2 minutes 10 seconds
8 rounds per minute (for 3 minutes)
3 rounds per minute sustained rate of fire until system is out of ammunition

Rearm time less than 11 minutes
Engine 736 KW - power pack V8 diesel
Power to weight ratio 13.4 KW / t
Transmission Automatic
Suspension torsion bar and shock absorbers
Traction Caterpillars
Speed 60 Km/h Highway speed
45 Km/h Cross-country speed
750 meters 90-second survival dash speed

Cruising range 420 km
Maximum gradient 50%
Fording ability 1.5 m
Crossing of ditches 3 ms
Vertical obstacle 1 m

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I like the top post cannon. Is it just for tank busting?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Thanks fror the info..

Laxpla,

With laser guided / and other kinds of smart munitions..

And also if tank gets too close to one..

BY DIRECT FIRE!

As hit from a weapon like this doesnt even have to penetrate its victim.. the shock caused by impact is powerful enough to knock out the electronics and the crew of any MBT..

And even more.. if the turret is hit there is good change that such a hit hit tear the MBTs turret of by brutal force of it..

(50kg -> / 1000 m/s -> for 155mm)

Or little less/more ..
(From 8-50+ from 800 to1500+)

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
I like the top post cannon. Is it just for tank busting?

No it is not..

Its a self protection task for all SPAs..
(in directfire..)

And with guided projectiles it one of their primary missions..

Also good choice that PzH 2000,

As it its at the moment the most advanced of these all..

(These were tested by FDF.. and they loved em.. stupid politicans just said: "They cost too much.." and we didnt get em..)

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Crusader was along these lines was it not?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
Crusader was along these lines was it not?

Yep,

It WAS..
(Was aborted?)

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Crusader was dumped and the money (9-11 billion) will be utilized on the high- mobility artillery rocket system, or HIMARS and accelerating the development of satellite-guide artillery shells.

regards
seekerof

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join