It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aston Villa: O'leary to sign Berger?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Reports suggest Aston Villa boss David O'Leary will sign Portsmouth's Czech international striker Patrik Berger in the summer.

Berger is out of contract at Fratton Park at the end of this season and O'Leary is a long-time admirer of the 31-year-old. The former Liverpool star's possible arrival at Villa Park could herald an exit for Thomas Hitzlsperger, who is currently stalling on signing a new deal with the club.

LINK

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i like berger as a player, does he get games at pompey?

i think he is acceptale to have as a squad player

TRD

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
He has always been a decent enough player, i guess O'Leary sees that he has a bit more left in him to offer.. At 31 he is not that old in footballing terms and if its for free it could be a good deal in getting him...

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
aint him and smicer about the same age, and smicer still does make the odd appearance and he aint a bad player, hes behind luis garcia and a few other good players in that liverpool team and i rate berger higher than smicer.

if he signed him, its a good move. he has a wicked shot outside the box like hitzleberger has. maybe its his replacement?

Sir

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I think Pompey said they wasn't selling and he is a part of thier plans?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
i aint certain to be honest.

he is out of contract in the summer and i dont know if he is penning a new deal, if he wants penned one, maybe hes been waiting to see where pompey will be playing?

since they wil be staying up now he aint looking for a move as much.

if villa do come calling though, i think it might prove hard to resist

TRD

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It would be a step up for him if he went to Villia, you only have to take a look at the League positions since Pompey got in the Prem. Plus it all depends on what Pompey will be offering to keep his services. And the way Mandric is i guess they won't offer him too much, so yeah i think he will be going.

What is dumb is that they should have offloaded him in January and not wait untill his contract runs out, that way they would have got a little back for him. Thats if they don't offer him a new deal....

[Edited on 24/4/05 by TRD]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
i cant see Pompey wanting to offer too much to him to hold onto him. I aint sure the new manger will want him either, player out of contract it might be a case of getting rid of him and starting afresh.

but to move from... was it liverpool to pompey? it cant be too much about the money, i think its more about getting games.

with hitzleberger leaving, i think berger would make a good choice as a replacement

TRD

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The new manager Perrin? He said he does want him, so that makes it a bit different. As i said it all depends on what they want to offer.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Great signing, he is free and world class. He also offers a little more creativity to the midfield which is a must, now pull your finger out mr oleary and sign yakubu

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
It's a great signing for Villa he is a very good player who has been unlucky with injuries, will do well for O'Leary.

TRD

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It is a good move by Villa, you think they have a chance to sign the Yak? I would have thought he would be off in the summer but there may be quite a few clubs that will be interested...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i think its a good move, and this would be a free transfer too right? i like him as a player and he hasnt always had that luck of avioding injuries, hes plagued more like lol.

is he a direct replacment for the german guy?

and hey, i thought the yak had signed for boro

TRD

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh yeah i think he did, 6.5 million wasn't it...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Yeah 6.5m he was never going to Villa.

Wonder how much Berger is on per week?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
yer, i think he wants to see if the transfer money can get bellamy first

i think berger must be on around 15- 20 grand a week

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Not bad money really.

top topics