It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: England to play Dutch at Villa Park

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
England will play Holland at Villa Park on February 9 - the third time they have played the Dutch in a friendly during Sven-Goran Eriksson's reign.

Eriksson's team will line up against the side now managed by the great Dutch striker Marco van Basten having failed to beat them in their previous two attempts.

In August 2001, the Dutch secured a comprehensive 2-0 victory at White Hart Lane - with Marc van Bommel and Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy on target - and drew 1-1 at the Amsterdam ArenA in February 2002 when Darius Vassell rescued England on his debut.

Eriksson said: "I'm delighted we are playing such attractive opposition in our February fixture. Holland are regarded as one of the finest teams in world football, and this will be a match I'm sure our players and supporters will particularly look forward to.

"As a coach, I have had to prepare my teams to contend with van Basten the player - so it will be interesting preparing a team selected by van Basten the coach!

"Marco was a truly great player with Ajax, AC Milan and Holland - one of the best forwards football has ever seen - and it was terrible that his career was cut short so prematurely by injury. Who can forget that fantastic goal he scored against Russia in the final of the 1988 European Championships - undoubtedly one of the greatest goals of all time?

Sportinglife

[Edited on 4/11/04 by TRD]

new topics

join