It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Naseem Hamed starts comeback rumours again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Few will believe it unless it actually happens, but former featherweight stat Prince Naseem Hamed has once vowed to return to the ring. The Sheffield, England based showman said he wants to fight in the Middle East this summer.

The former WBC, WBO and IBF champion at 9stone (126lbs) has not fought since his dreadful 12 round performance against Manuel Calvo in May of 2002 despite continued statements that his careers is not over.

Hamed had a good fight with contender Michael Brodie all agreed but continued to postpone the fight all the way through 2003 until co-promoter Barry Hearn came to the conclusion that Naz had lost all interest in the sport.

However, the Prince is now 30 and has fought but twice since the summer of 2000. His one-sided defeat against Marco Antonio Barrera in April 2001 seemed to all but destroy his once unshakable confidence, and in his last three or four bouts previous to that there were signs that his speed and reflexes were on the wane.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i cant see him making as big a impact as when he first started boxing, thats if he returns

the early days of the guys career, he was great i thought and was also a entertainer. but he will be so out of touch, not sure he will ever get to be as good as he once was

TRD

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
He made his money, unless he has been spending it all. I can't see him making a comeback now, but you never know.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
well. heres more to this one

Former world featherweight champion Prince Naseem Hamed has set tongues wagging once again by claiming he will be making a comeback in the Middle East.

Hamed, once the darling of the 9st division, lost his unbeaten record and his aura of invincibility against Mexican Marco Antonio Barrera in the heat of Las Vegas in the summer of 2001.

The devout Muslim has since shied away from the public eye, fighting just once more when claiming a points victory over the moderate Manuel Calvo in May 2002.

link

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It does look like he is going to fight again. I wonder at his age if he will do that ring entrance again. I always liked watching him fight he was entertaining to say the least.

Thing is how would he fare against the top booxers in his weight division now.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
yip, he was made to look good, his entrances and he always had fancy shorts.

he was a good boxer but he was really hyped too, his pace and movement was his strong points, will he have them now.

i think thats the big question. if he returns and gets beat. i think its game over

new topics

top topics

join