It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: De La Hoya drops to welterwieght

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Boxing great Oscar De La Hoya has revealed he will drop down to the welterweight division after rubbishing reports of his retirement. De La Hoya made history by becoming the first fighter to win 'world' titles at six different weights. His last two bouts have been at middleweight, where he controversially beat German Felix Sturm on points before being stopped for the first time in his glittering career by champion Bernard Hopkins in their high-profile showdown in September.

The 'Golden Boy', who won gold at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, admits the extra weight has diminished his speed in the ring.

"I'm not retired at all," he told Puerto Rican newspaper El Nuevo Dia.

"From 147 to 150 (pounds), that is my natural weight. It's almost impossible to do something in the 154 or 160 divisions. It's too heavy for me."

Since losing his WBO title to Hopkins, De La Hoya has turned his attentions to promoting fights with his own company, Golden Boy Promotions. But a re-match with Felix Trinidad is not on the cards. 'Tito' Trinidad beat De La Hoya five years ago but the 31-year-old insists he does not want to meet the Puerto Rican to avenge that loss.

"If he (Trinidad) wants to come down (in weight), the door is open. But it would not be very intelligent from my part to go up in weight," said the Californian.

While the welterweight division will undoubtedly be more comfortable for De La Hoya, there are not the glamour fights that are available at middleweight. WBA, WBC and IBF champion Cory Spinks would be a mouth-watering prospect in a division that would also offer Zab Judah but little else in the way of 'super-fights'.

Sportinglife

new topics

join