It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrier Defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Description: Fast-reaction, rapid-fire 20-millimeter gun system.

Features: Phalanx provides ships of the U.S. Navy with a "last-chance" defense against anti-ship missiles and littoral warfare threats that have penetrated other fleet defenses. Phalanx automatically detects, tracks and engages anti-air warfare threats such as anti-ship missiles and aircraft, while the Block 1B's man-in-the-loop system counters the emerging littoral warfare threat. This new threat includes small,high-speed surface craft, small terrorist aircraft, helicopters and surface mines. Phalanx accomplishes these engagements via an advanced search and track radar system integrated with a stabilized, forward looking infra-red (FLIR) detector. This integrated FLIR provides Phalanx with an unique multi-spectral detect and track capability for littoral warfare threats and dramatically improves the existing anti-air warfare capability. Block 1B also incorporates new Optimized Gun Barrels which provide improved barrel life, improved round dispersion and increased engagement ranges.

Phalanx is the only deployed close-in weapon system capable of autonomously performing its own search, detect, evaluation, track, engage and kill assessment functions. Phalanx also can be integrated into existing Combat Systems to provide additonal sensor and fire-control capability.

General Characteristics
Primary Function: Anti-ship missile defense
Weight: 12,500 pounds (5,625 kg) - Later models: 13,600 pounds (6,120 kg)
Range: Classified
Gun Type: M-61A1 Gatling
Type of Fire: 3,000 rounds per minute - Later models: 4,500 rounds/min (starting 1988 production, Pneumatic Gun Drive)
Magazine Capacity: 989 rounds - Later models: 1,550 rounds
Caliber: 20mm
Ammunition: Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS), Depleted Uranium sub-caliber penetrator. Penetrator changed to Tungsten 1988. Block 1B will incorporate the new Enhanced Lethality Cartridge with a heavier penetrator.
Sensors: Self-contained search and track radar with integrated FLIR

www.chinfo.navy.mil...

[Edited on 12/2/2003 by Maverick]

[Edited on 12/2/2003 by Maverick]

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I love it, i have always been a fan. America sold some to the Japs recently. Good stuff

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Sparrow Missile

Description: A highly maneuverable air-to-air missile with surface-to-air capability.

Features: The Navy's RIM-7M Sea Sparrow and the Air Force's AIM-7 Sparrow are radar-guided, air-to-air missiles with high explosive warheads. They have a cylindrical body with four wings at mid-body and four tail fins. The Navy uses the Sea Sparrow version aboard ships as a surface-to-air anti-missile defense. The versatile Sparrow has all-weather, all-altitude operational capability and can attack high-performance aircraft and missiles from any direction. It is widely deployed by U.S. and NATO forces. The Sea Sparrow is found aboard many U.S. and NATO surface warships.

General Characteristics
Primary Function: Air-to-air and surface-to-air radar-guided missile
Contractors: Raytheon Co. and General Dynamics
Power Plant: Hercules MK-58 solid-propellant rocket motor
Thrust: Classified
Speed: More than 2,660 mph (4,256 kph)
Range: More than 30 nautical miles (approximately 55 km)
Length: 12 feet (3.64 meters)
Diameter: 8 inches (20.3 cm)
Wingspan: 3 feet 4 inches (one meter)
Warhead: Annular blast fragmentation warhead, 90 pounds (40.5 kg)
Launch Weight: Approximately 500 pounds (225 kg)
Guidance System: Raytheon semi-active on continuous wave or pulsed Doppler radar energy
Date Deployed: 1976
Unit Cost: $165,400
Inventory: Classified

www.chinfo.navy.mil...

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Check this out, the SEARAM.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
Check this out, the SEARAM.

Cool.

www.raytheon.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Link!

US system is kinda weak against missiles as it only uses 20mm..

KASHTAN has 2x30mm Gatling cannons and 8 missiles in the same turret..

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
man thease are all really sweet

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
I love it, i have always been a fan. America sold some to the Japs recently. Good stuff

These have been in use by various armed forces since early 1980s..

This isnt new system..

Most dont even want these but use similar, but better system called GOALKEEPER..

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think that they are going to replace the Phalanx is going to be replaced by the SEARAM systems. In the future maybe lasers. I am guessing 7 to 10 years from now.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   

This isnt new system..

i never said it was.... cheif

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
New or old, outdated or whatever, they still look BADASS.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
you are dead on mrjingles

new topics

top topics

join