It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars: Battlefront

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Just got word on this game. It is a mix between SOCOM, Battlefield 1942 and Counter-strike. It is a first person shooter, set in the Star Wars universe. You can choose what class (Storm Trooper, Jaba, Rebel ) etc, and join the fray. You can also command vehicles, from AT-AT's to those hover bikes in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

It is releasing sometime in 2004, and will be availible on PC, Ps2, and XBOX.

Heres a link for ya.

Star Wars: Battlefront Preview

I think I will be purchasing this game..

Thoughts??

-wD

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea..
depends no how good the online play is though.

Will they charge to play online? If so, it will probably flop.

Are they going to set the specs so high, average gamers are going to lag alot?

Will the online play be laggy in general, regardless of your cpu/connection?

Will it be balanced? Or will everyone be stormtroopers, cause they are the uber team(just an example)?

These are just a few of my concerns for the game.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Balance probably won't be a problem, considering some people like the Rebels as well.

Connection won't be a problem for PS2 and XBOX. ( I play on PS2, since my computer is crap lol )

So, the connection won't be a problem for the consoles, but for PC, who knows?

-wD

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It's not 100% about the connection, it also involves how well the programmers coded the game for internet play..

for example, FFXI vs. EverQuest, both are online MMOG's; EQ gets really choppy and slow, when alot of people are around, or alot of spells are being cast at once, FFXI, with alot of people, and tons of spells (not to mention the graphics, seem better, and spell effects, seem more involved than EQ) might spurt a little bit, but it's not even close to as noticable as EQ.

Why? Because the coding to recieve, and send the information between server/player is better. So if they do a hobjob # job at that end of coding.. well, then you're likely to lag, when there are alot of trees around, or lots of people are around etc.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
"I think I will be purchasing this game."

Me, too. Too bad I don't have multiplayer, yet. :bnghd:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Battlefield 1942 was a huge game, so this game will only be better. It newer, its starwars, its got added features, its on Xbox, its multiplayer!

I'll be seeing those of you that buy the game online! My name in "BURNALDIWEED" in Xbox gaming, so dont be afriad to give me a shout if you see me in game, or in any other game.

My List of To Buy Games

Pro Fishing Challange ~ Aug 31st.
Kingdom Under Fire (Action) ~ Sept 7th.
Fable (Action/RPG) ~ Sept 14th.
Starwars Battlefront (Shooter) ~ Sept 20th.
NHL 2005 ~ Sept 20th.
Tiger Woods 2005 ~ Sept 20th.
Xmen Ledgends (Action/RPG) ~ Sept 22nd.
Combat Elite (Shooter) ~ Oct 1st.
The Bards Tale (RPG) ~ Oct 19th.
Close Combat (Shooter) ~ Oct 26th.
The Lord of the Rings (RPG) ~ Nov 2nd.
HALO 2 (Shooter) ~ Nov 8th.
.....Jade Empire (RPG) ~ March 1st.

Oh I cant wait! looks like a big fall of gaming for me!!!

[Edited on 9/2/04 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm gonna buy it, looks great. I read that there will be no online fee except for what you pay for your internet provider. No cost, just make sure you have DSL or a bandwith type of connection.

But I need to get that PS2 internet thingie first, my computer is bad for newer games.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
this is the homepage for the game

Battlefront

you won't have to pay for online play!!!!!

What do I need to play Star Wars Battlefront online?

For the Xbox, you will need Xbox Live to play, and for the PlayStation 2, you will need a PlayStation 2 Network Adapter. For the PC, a broadband Internet connection is required along with an ISP. A broadband Internet connection is required for all platforms.

Will there be a charge to play Star Wars Battlefront online?

No, there's no additional charge to play the game online. However, players are still responsible for their own ISP and connection charges.

yah

What is the maximum number of human players in an online game?

We plan to support at least 16 human players over the Internet for the PS2 and Xbox versions, possibly more with dedicated server support. For the PC, we plan to support at least 32 human players over the Internet. For LAN games, we plan to support 32 players for the PS2 and Xbox versions, and 64 for the PC version. Of course, the total number of players for any single game will vary with network conditions and hardware performance.

yah

looks like it's going to be a great game

see you on xbox live

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I bought this yesterday (release day). I also bought the dvd original trilogy set (ok...star geeking).

Anyway, I tried online an I was like the first person on. LOL! First day and all. Then I jumped into single player and played some campaigns. All I have to say is BADASS!

Loved playing Clone Troopers fighting droids. being able to run and gun (trooper), shoot heavy vehicles (ARC trooper), snipe (Scout), and more...

Going and grabbing a vehicle (ANYTHING) and driving/piloting or being a gunner, whatever was great. Definately a fun, fun game. Can't wait to do online.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The TRU flyer for this week has a coupon for a free $10 gift card with purchase of the game or new DVD release.

[Edited on 22-9-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hey Zedd what do you have it for? PC. X-box or PS2?

Right now I don't know what to buy it for. I'm probally going to get an X-box between now and Christmas, but I really don't want to pay for X-box Live if its for one game. Know if the PS2 on-line service charges? I know certain games do like Final Fantasy.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Hey Zedd what do you have it for? PC. X-box or PS2?

Right now I don't know what to buy it for. I'm probally going to get an X-box between now and Christmas, but I really don't want to pay for X-box Live if its for one game. Know if the PS2 on-line service charges? I know certain games do like Final Fantasy.

I have it for PS2. There are no online fees (I play Red Cell, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, SOCOM II, and a few others online). I use wireless broadband and it works great. I am a big PS2 fan (personally), but I will give X-box props for graphics and power. One issue for me, was that Knights of the Old Repuplic AND the coming sequel (looks great) are X-box only. Honestly those 2 are the only game snot on PS2 that I would love to play. Not worth buying an X-box over though.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Ok thanks, I'll get Battlefront for PS2 and see you there. I have DSL so all I need to do is buy the PS2 router or whatever it is and set it up?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Ok thanks, I'll get Battlefront for PS2 and see you there. I have DSL so all I need to do is buy the PS2 router or whatever it is and set it up?

Yep, just need to get and install the network adapter ($35 at Best Buy) and you'll be all set.

BTW: I have been reading on other forums about all kinds of problems getting online and stuff like that. My experience:

Day one: Got game, went online, downloaded the patch. Nobody was playing so I played single player...lots of fun.

Day two: Went online, found a room and was playing in 5 mins. Played for 90 mins at least and then the room dropped (had a blast though) and then went back to single player for the night (I was having fun with it).

Most have been complaining about a few things:
Hard to get in rooms (I can see that it is a bit strange to get in a room, but I was ok)
No friend-finder - Yes, a very useful tool just not there. Maybe they will fix this.

My complaints:
Have a mute button on your headset and turn your tv down some. I have a mute, but many don't. The sound can be very bad because it is always sending. $14 got me a good headset with a mute button (I use for all online games)

Don't kill your teammates. The last 15 mins last night, some guy named Focker went nuts and was killing us (his team) over and over.

Other than that....I really like it.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ok then. I'm going to get Battlefront for my birthday (10 more days), and I'll pick up the adapter and Trilogy DVDs with my money. I'll see you on there.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Ok then. I'm going to get Battlefront for my birthday (10 more days), and I'll pick up the adapter and Trilogy DVDs with my money. I'll see you on there.

Sounds good! To any ATS people who want to play...I am running a 3Mbps Dedicated server for 16 players on PS2. I'll post a game name when I am sure things are running perfect.

I did have 16 people playing for quite awhile. Shame I was at work.
Still though, thanks to my work...I have this server.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   
yah... i should have StarWars: Battlefront (xbox) within 2 days

should be fun

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have the game on PC and it's really a great game altough the netcode is very bad but hopefully they will patch it

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The game is ok, but it definitely takes too long to kill someone. You can tell it's been ported from a console to a pc, the graphics are a bit lacking. Gameplay is fun, I think the coding could be a bit better to let it run a bit smoother. I havnt played it online yet, but single player is fun. Just an FYI. There was already a mod out for BF1942 called Galactic Conquest, which is near par to this game. It's up to version .4 already and rocks. It's a tossup between the two at this point. How are the online games?? Do you get a lot of lag? Can you play with people that are playing on the PS and Xbox as well as the PC? I'd give it a bout a 7 on a 10 scale.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm getting it for Christmas. Man, it seems like too much. I can't wait to join the fray as a droideka, darktrooper, jet trooper, sniper, ect. And those vehicles! I loved the Republic Gunship and Republic Tank from Clone Wars, and Rogue Squadron III had very good vehicles, plus turret gunners should add to the fun. I expect it to have the best qualities of Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron, and all the other Star Wars games out there. Here's how I feel just thinking about it:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join