It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
WELLINGTON, June 23 (Xinhuanet) -- Boxing administrators in New Zealand have held firm in their nomination of Soulan Pownceby, whowas a child killer, for the NZ Olympic team despite public outrageat the boxer's selection for Athens.
According to New Zealand Press Association Wednesday, six members of the executive of Boxing New Zealand Tuesday night agreed in a conference call to stand by their decision to nominatePownceby, who was convicted in 1995 of the manslaughter of his baby and sentenced to four years in jail.
His convictions for assault continued after his release from jail and his last conviction, on a charge of assault against a woman, was four years ago.
Boxing NZ Chairman Keith Walker said the six executive members had unanimously agreed to stick to their original decision.
No new material had been presented to make them revisit the nomination and only new evidence on the boxer's past would change the situation, he said.