It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cycling: Sinkewitz wins Japan Cup cycling road race

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Patrik Sinkewitz of Germany beat favourite Damiano Cunego of Italy in the last 500 meters to win the 151.3-kilometer Japan Cup cycling road race in Utsunomiya on Sunday.

The German rider of Belgian team Quick Step-Davitamon, runner-up last year, overtook world number one Cunego in the final stage of the last lap to finish in just over four hours.

Cunego, of Italy's Saeco team, winner of World Cup final leg at Tour of Lombardy in Italy a week ago, came in less than a meter behind Sinkewitz in 4:01:31, one-hundredth of a second behind the winner.

Third place went to Italy's Manuel Quinziato from the Lampre team in 4:02:14. Cunego took off strongly at the first uphill of the final lap, before Sinkewitz caught up with him midway and edged ahead of the Italian on the home straight.

Sinkewitz said he always intended to sprint at the last hill ofthe course, saying that "It's a good feeling. I hope I can do it again next year. I was second last year, so I came here to win therace this time."

With the victory, the German gave a himself a belated birthday gift after turning 24 four days ago. Enditem

link

join