It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cricket: McGrath aims to join 500 wicket club

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Australian pace bowler Glenn McGrath is eyeing the 500-wicket club as he prepares for his 100th test match appearance on Tuesday in the third test of the ongoing series against India.
"I want to get to 500 test wickets, that will be a memorable achievement," McGrath told reporters on Sunday.

McGrath will start the test on Tuesday in this central Indian city three short of 450 dismissals. But he said his eye was already firmly fixed on the 500 mark.

Only one pace bowler and two spinners have accomplished 500 test wickets before him. West Indies' Courtney Walsh achieved 519 wickets in his test career, while Australian spinner Shane Warne has claimed 537 wickets in 114 tests and Sri Lankan spin bowler Muttiah Muralitharan has 532 under his belt.

The Aussie pace ace said a significant haul would make his century of test appearances a special occasion.

"It's always nice to get five wickets in an innings, or 10 wickets in a test match," he said.

"The 100th test is very special. It'll be a great moment when I walk out at the start of the match," McGrath said. "I'm 34 and I'm still enjoying it. I feel like I've still got a few years left in me."

Pondering his 99-test career, McGrath said he experienced many high points.

"When you sit back and remember, there are lots of moments that you cherish. My first test was very special. There have been many highlights over the past years, but the biggest was to be part of an era when the Australian team was doing well," he said. McGrath featured in Steve Waugh's squad that won a record 16 successive tests three years ago.

"We were working toward the goal of being the best," he said.

link

new topics

join