It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: NASCAR: Sharpie 500 at BRISTOL!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Jeff Gordon gets pole at Bristol!

ESPN

Rusty Wallace might be the man at Bristol, but Jeff Gordon ain't so bad there himself. Gordon, the five-time Bristol and defending race winner, claimed the pole for Saturday's Sharpie 500, which is much more than just a race to those congregating at Bristol Motor Speedway, gathering around and waiting for the big show to come to town.

Track: Bristol Motor Speedway (oval, .533 miles, 36 degrees banking in turns). Distance 266.5 miles, 500 laps.

Last year's Sharpie 500: Jeff Gordon snapped his 31-race victory drought, bumping his way past Rusty Wallace with three laps to go to win the Sharpie 500. Gordon passed Wallace by driving his Chevrolet onto Wallace's bumper and sliding past in Turn 4.

*Remember* The race is Saturday night!

Click here for drivers to watch

My driver Rusty Wallace has usually done pretty well at Bristol, maybe it's time to break his winless drought.

Rusty Wallace:
Winston Cup veteran excels on short tracks; nine-time winner at Bristol, with three victories coming in this late summer event; ran 13th in March after finishing second behind Jeff Gordon in last year's Sharpie 500; won night race here in 2000; has just one top-five and seven top-10 finishes this season and is 15th in the standings; has finished no worse than ninth in the championship race since 1992.

Bristol is usually one of the most popular NASCAR races, I like watching them on the small track and I also like the Saturday night races under the lights.

What do you think of Bristol and who do you think will win??

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   

1 Jeff Gordon

2 Mark Martin

3 Michael Waltrip

4 Mike Skinner

5 Kurt Busch

6 Ryan Newman

7 Ted Musgrave

8 Ricky Rudd

9 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

10 Matt Kenseth

Click here for rest of startng lineup

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
1. Kurt Busch
2. Terry Labonte
3. Ricky Rudd

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'll go with:

1 Rusty Wallace
2 Tony Stewart
3 Dale Jr.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just 4 hours till race time, any other predictions??

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
there will be 16 cautions. and 12 cars on the lead lap at the conclusion of the race.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well this is just great, Rusty only made it 88 laps before he wrecked with Michael Waltrip. I hope he's OK, they just said he was on the way to the hospital.

As expected, there's been a whole lot of wrecks already. Jeff Green just wrecked, thats the 8th caution flag already and they're only on lap 190.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Kurt Busch wins in Bristol!

ESPN

What a week. First he was punched. Then he was blamed. But Kurt Busch put the incident -- along with the rest of the field -- behind him on Saturday by winning the Sharpie 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

He instead put his focus on the race, running away from Kevin Harvick to score his fourth win of the season and third in the last four races at Bristol.

But it didn't come without controversy.

Busch spun-out Sterling Marlin midway through the race as he tried to pass Marlin for second place, and knew immediately it didn't help his cause.

espn.go.com...

What an exciting race to watch. They had over 20 cautions with 31 drivers involved.

Rusty is going to be ok although he went to the hospital for tests.

Matt Kenseth continued being consistent finishing 4th but I have to give him a round of applause for spinning out Jeff Gordon.

Busch certainly got quite a bit of boos in the beginning of the race and also in the winners circle. He spun Sterling Marlin out to take second place, Marlin said after the race that Spencer must not have hit him hard enough.

Pretty ironic the Sharpie car wins the Sharpie 500!

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
1. Kurt Busch
2. Terry Labonte
3. Ricky Rudd

well i got the winner right. too bad i lost my ass on the rest of my bets.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
1. Kurt Busch
2. Terry Labonte
3. Ricky Rudd

well i got the winner right. too bad i lost my ass on the rest of my bets.

You did much better than I did, my pick to win was in the hospital during the checkered flag.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   
At the begining of the race,the commentators made predictions about the caution laps. Gave me an idea.

Why not have a little contest every week. Pick the winner and the amount of caution laps. You get points based on how well you do. I know its late in the season,but what the hell.
Maybe the winner could have his/her posting background skin in the colors of their favortie driver, or get a star or something. Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Why not have a little contest every week. Pick the winner and the amount of caution laps. You get points based on how well you do. I know its late in the season,but what the hell.

Sounds like a good idea nyeff, start a thread! :tum:

They're in Darlington this Sunday for the Mountain Dew Southern 500!

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
We still have 12 races left, do you think you could come up with a points system? Sounds like a good idea.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i could go for that. the one i do at work is really quite simple, you pick 3 drivers to fill the top 3 spots. you get 3 points for getting the winner, 2 points for second, and 1 point for 3rd.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Cool,its done. Add any ideas you want.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join