It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR: NASCAR: Watkins Glen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Anybody watching the race today? Do you like the road courses? I like it just as a change of pace, something different rarher than an oval.

Watkins Glen Last year: Tony Stewart drove his Pontiac to a victory at Watkins Glen International, beating Ryan Newman by 1.636 seconds for his 15th career victory and third of 2002. Stewart was fined and put on probation for punching a photographer the previous week.

Fast facts: Kenseth finished second at Indianapolis and widened his lead over Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the standings to 286 points. ... Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin have combined to win 11 of the last 20 races at the series' two road courses. The other is Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif. ... The race has been won from the pole seven of 20 times. ... J.D. McDuffie was killed in a wreck during the 1991 race. McDuffie's car landed upside down atop Jimmy Means' car. ... Buck Baker won the first NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, in 1957.

Next race: Michigan 400, Aug. 17, Brooklyn.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i do like the road courses. they add that little something extra to the same old oval racing. however i don't like having 2 road courses. they either need to add more or get rid of them all together. right now most race teams just try to hold on and not finish last on them, if there were more it would make it more interesting in the fact that they wouldn't be throw away races anymore.

and as much as i don't like Jeff Gordon, he got screwed on the first and last laps of the race. it's really too bad he was having a good day.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
and as much as i don't like Jeff Gordon, he got screwed on the first and last laps of the race. it's really too bad he was having a good day.

I hate Jeff Gordon too and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing my a$$ off when he got spun around just yards away from the finish line. All he could do was sit there and watch everyone go by! :bounce:
It's all part of the game, plus it was his fault for being in the groove with no fuel.

Anyway, for anyone who didn't watch, Robby Gordon won. 2 months ago at the other road race in Sonoma, CA , Gordon won after violating the so-called gentleman's agreement by passing teammate Kevin Harvick under caution. Harvick was the one who spun Jeff Gordon around yesterday.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I like road courses. They add a little spice. Robby Gorden kinda lucked into victory lane. It was a good call on his part to pit when Rusty crashed. But the best 2 cars were Dale Jr,an J Gorden.
I was LMAO when Gorden got spun on the last lap. I hope he learned a lesson. When you are out of gas,get the hell outta they way.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Robby Gorden kinda lucked into victory lane. It was a good call on his part to pit when Rusty crashed.

I agree nyeff, I think that last second pit stop won him the race, figures it was at the expense of my driver Rusty Wallace. Darn Rusty hasnt won in eons, I'm starting to think thats where he got his first name.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
LOL......
Its been so long since Rusty has won,that even I pull for him.
I hope Rusty can win Daytona before he retires. He is the same boat Dale Sr. was in. He has won just about everything but the big one.

[Edited on 6/27/03 by nyeff]

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
PICTURE OF THE DAY !!

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   

"They just ran all over the back of me. It's ridiculous," said Gordon, who still retained third place in the standings, a daunting 396 points behind Kenseth with 14 races left. "It stinks that I ran out of fuel and the car stopped, but all they had to do was drive right by me. But I shouldn't blame him. It's our own fault."

espn.go.com...

new topics

top topics

join