It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golf: Euro tour boss back Els

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
In-coming European tour chief executive George O'Grady has described as "extraordinary" the pressure being put on world number two Ernie Els to play more events in America.

Els' anger was clear two weeks ago when he revealed that the US Tour had sent him a letter demanding more appearances if he wanted to remain a member.

O'Grady commented: "It seems like quite an extraordinary pressure to put on a player of his level who plays usually 17 or 18 tournaments in the United States anyway.

"He's always prepared to listen if we need him to play somewhere, but he's a very hard man to tell to do something. You do ask him, usually politely, and sometimes he says yes.

Els has said of the situation: "There's a world outside America and I'm part of it. They can't restrict me from playing where I want to play.

"They want over 20 and nothing abroad, but I am not hurting their tour at all with my schedule. I'm just helping the European tour and why should I change?

"You can't start telling me 'hey, come over here and leave the rest of the world'. It's not going to happen that way."

The issue also involves other global players like South Africa's US Open champion Retief Goosen and rising Australian star Adam Scott.

Sportinglife

join