It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Federer v Hewitt US Open final.

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
NEW YORK (AP) - In heat or wind, before a crowd for or against him, facing Andre Agassi's baseline bashing or Tim Henman's get-to-the-net style: When Roger Federer is on his game, it doesn't seem to matter what he has to deal with.

Now Lleyton Hewitt of Australia will try to disrupt him.
The top-ranked Federer moved within a victory of becoming the first man since 1988 to win three Grand Slam tournaments in a year, beating No. 5 Henman 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 Saturday in the U.S. Open semifinals.

"I feel very confident out on the court," Federer said. "It's important that every day, I wake up, I'm 100 percent into tennis and ready to go."

In Sunday's final, Federer will play 2001 U.S. Open champion Hewitt, who was nearly flawless himself in eliminating No. 28 Joachim Johansson of Sweden 6-4, 7-5, 6-3. As Hewitt scrambled along the baseline, getting to everything Johansson offered, his sneakers squeaked with each step, sounding like high-pitched bird chirps.

It was the first time since 1986 that no Americans were in the men's semifinals at the U.S. Open. Later Saturday, Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Elena Dementieva 6-3, 7-5 the Open's first all-Russian women's final.

link

Ben

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
i kindof like hewitt in this one, but its going to be very very close

TRD

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thing is Federer looked real good again he beat Henman with ease. I think Federer will win yet another final.....

TRD

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Roger Federer won his third Grand Slam title of the year as another awesome display of tennis saw off Lleyton Hewitt in the US Open final. Federer produced some sparkling shots to destroy Hewitt 6-0 7-6 (7/3) 6-0 on the Arthur Ashe Stadium at Flushing Meadows.

Only a brief slip in Federer's quality in the second set prevented an even greater margin of victory. As it was, it was still the most one-sided US Open final for 30 years.

The victory also meant Federer became the first player since Mats Wilander in 1988 to win three legs of the Grand Slam in a calendar year.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
this guy is the next dominate force, o wait he is already here.

top topics

join