It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Capriati through plus other womens results

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Three-times Grand Slam winner Jennifer Capriati powered her way into the fourth round with a straight-sets win over France's Nathalie Dechy.

Dechy handed the seventh seed an early advantage, double-faulting in her first service game on a near-empty Court One.

The 25th seed broke back in the fifth game, but Capriati ultimately proved too strong, taking the first set 7-5.

From then on the American took total charge, dominating Dechy from the back of the court to take the second 6-1.

"I think it was a good win," said Capriati. "The first set was a test but I stuck with it and I played well in the second set and really got going."

Day seven diary

And of the 'People's Sunday' crowd, she said: "I was surprised it was a little bit empty at first but you can feel the difference in the atmosphere."

Fourth seed Amelie Mauresmo moved into the last 16 with a comfortable 6-1 6-4 win over Ludmila Cervanova of Slovakia.

And Karolina Sprem followed her victory over Venus Williams with a win over Meghann Shaughnessy.

The unseeded Croatian beat the 32nd seed 7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (7-2) after also overcoming Williams in two tie-breaks.

Seeded trio Nadia Petrova, Paolo Suarez and Magdalena Maleeva all secured third-round victories early on Sunday.

Russian 10th seed Petrova was the first to progress into the last 16 with a 7-6 (7-5) 6-2 win over Tatiana Perebiynis, of the Ukraine, on Court Four.

Bulgarian Maleeva, seeded 21, then eased past Czech Denisa Chladkova in straight sets on Court Six, 7-5 6-3.

Number nine seed Suarez overcame Anne Kremer of Luxembourg 6-1 4-6 6-0 on Court Five.

BBC Sport

new topics

join