It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Tar Heels McCants to enter NBA draft

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
North Carolina junior Rashad McCants said Wednesday he will enter the NBA draft, after helping the Tar Heels win their fourth national championship this season. McCants, the team’s second-leading scorer at 16 points a game, said he was in the process of hiring an agent, a move that would prevent him from returning for his senior season. But he said he would continue working to earn his college degree.

Rest of story

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
So McCants is the first to go.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sean May make the same decision, especially considering how well he played in the NCAA tournament.

McCants should do fairly well in the NBA, that is if he can toughen up some both mentally and physically. It seemed to me at times that his head wasn't in the game and would get very easily frustrated if he missed a shot or was called for a foul. He definitely has alot of talent, most likely will be a 2 guard at the next level.

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Agreed, he has serious game and Sean May even more so. Maybe Raymond Felton as well...?

Ben

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
What is the big problem with actually finishing school

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If you had the option of going pro to make millions, or finishing college and risking injury that may cost you those millions, which would you choose? Especially if you come from a low-income family, which is sometimes the case.

Ben

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
But you have to be smart, sure another year in the college ranks but you have a degree just in case something does happen to you.

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
With the money that can be made in the pros, you can easily afford to go back to school. Not so if you injure yourself and never get a shot at the big time. The signing bonuses alone could cover a large family's education bills.

Ben

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Why would you even want to goto back to college when you were in there to begin with. College is where you should stay 4 years not 3 years back out and then come back when you are injured and then you have to actually pay for classes!?

Now all these college players are getting "free" rides, they literaly don't have to pay for anything while in college, why not be smart, and take advantage of that?

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I understand what you're saying, but, put yourself in thier shoes. The risk of injury is there. That leaves you with nothing to fall back on. Thus, a professional thletic career. And after that, you may not even need a degree to get a job (if you were good enough)

As far as not staying for 4 years straight, I know many, many people who are/were "non-traditional" students, and took an extended path to finish a Bachelors degree. Myself, I went to the Navy for 4 years before I started college. Point being, it is not unusual at all to take some time off from college.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
They're expecting point guard Raymond Felton to announce that he's following his teammate McCants to the NBA draft. Most likely Sean May will also be going down that path as well, leaving the Tarheels a bit thin for next season. I cant blame them though, go make the money, you can always go back to school if need be.

top topics

join